slfriedm

Coronavirus and South Florida?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Anyone seeing tourism impacts to south Florida and the Keys?  Hotels not occupied, restaurants?  

I am scheduled to be down in the near future and not sure what to expect 

Very difficult to gauge, at least from where I live. We see significant seasonal traffic, with less vacation traffic. I can tell you that restaurants are full on weekends and even weekdays in some places. Not a very scientific gauge, but clearly people are not staying away from congregating with one another.

The number of cases in Florida remain small it is Southeast Florida the only reported cases have been in the Miami area.A story about the Florida impact appeared earlier and I’ll see if I can find it and post it when I get to the office.

Coronavirus in Florida: Confirmed COVID-19 cases and where they are located

See an interactive map showing where coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Florida.

Here is the latest information about the coronavirus outbreak from the Florida Department of Health (last updated March 9):

Positive cases of COVID-19

Florida residents: 17

Florida cases repatriated: 5

Non-Florida resident: 1

As of Monday, cases of the virus had been confirmed in Manatee County (2), Charlotte County, Volusia County, Okaloosa County, Hillsborough County (2), Lee County (2), Broward County (3) and Santa Rosa County.

TC Palm:

Latest numbers from Florida Department of Health

Positive cases involving Florida residents

Deaths involving Florida residents

Number of pending test results

6 mins ago, slfriedm said:

Much smaller compared to other states.  I’m a bit surprised with Miami being an international city and the tourism 

Seasonal flu falls off during spring and summer months. Florida weather is summer like so there’s that. 

The only real COVID-19 issues being discussed in Florida, besides the two fatalities in Hillsborough County,  are group gatherings and cruise ships, aka petri dishes of the sea.  At least one cruise ship is being held off shore for now.  Nothing at all about Monroe County.

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, tomkaz said:

TC Palm:

Latest numbers from Florida Department of Health

Positive cases involving Florida residents

Deaths involving Florida residents

Number of pending test results

Glad you corrected that

Edited by kayak99

2 hours ago, towpro said:

some DR on news said it inactivates at 83 deg.  come on summer

All those happy infected jihadists in Iran would disagree with that doctor, it's not exactly known for cool spring days.

From SWFL, the seasonal traffic is unaffected as is the store and other activities. People are talking about the virus,but that's about it here. So far so good ,hope it stays that way.

Come down and relax with us. Nothing that I can see has changed. The snowbirds are in town plus add to that the spring break bunch. 

Heard of three in collier county, but they are contained.