MassMino

Anyone catching Walleyes on the regular?

28 posts in this topic

A walleye conservation group on Lake Geneva Wisconsin began stocking them about a decade ago, it was an all volunteer project.  Now they are everywhere and hit big lures, like Bomber long a’s and the larger rapalas in the 7” range. I’ve had walleyes hit the lures that are only a few inches longer, the same lures the keepers hit.  It makes fishing fun.

Nice fish and bon’apetite.

1 hour ago, fishhappy said:

A walleye conservation group on Lake Geneva Wisconsin began stocking them about a decade ago, it was an all volunteer project.  Now they are everywhere and hit big lures, like Bomber long a’s and the larger rapalas in the 7” range. I’ve had walleyes hit the lures that are only a few inches longer, the same lures the keepers hit.  It makes fishing fun.

Nice fish and bon’apetite.

Yeah 30in walleyes, give or take, have mouths big enough to stick a grown man's fist into.

Their heads grow exponentially in size compared to their body length.

Foot long trout and suckers are fair game for a 25in plus walleye.

24 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Yeah 30in walleyes, give or take, have mouths big enough to stick a grown man's fist into.

Their heads grow exponentially in size compared to their body length.

Foot long trout and suckers are fair game for a 25in plus walleye.

Supposedly, the young walleye will eat small musky and pike. We used to be a musky lake, now we are the walleye lake.

On 3/10/2020 at 7:39 AM, MassMino said:

I've been fishing open water this entire winter for Pike and Walleye, and I finally got my PB Walleye at 27.25", about 8 lbs (didn't have a scale).  I know someone will beat me but I think this one will put me in the lead for Mass catch and release.

IMG_9598.jpg.0551ee076f47bf8a4a3ac957463b1485.jpg

I love fishing for these guys in the river.  It can be challenging to say the least.

This is one here is a 26.25" I got last night.  Both my biggest walleyes so far.  IMG_9620.JPG.502f695c552dd9106345e15ee05111b8.JPGIMG_9621.JPG.43abeb8ee56ea8887bcef60fb0b4a834.JPG

That's some great fishing !

Did you see any change in the fishing as the temps dropped? Things like location,  depth, water clarity... 

What temps or conditions gave up more or bigger fish?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Lateral Line said:

That's some great fishing !

Did you see any change in the fishing as the temps dropped? Things like location,  depth, water clarity... 

What temps or conditions gave up more or bigger fish?

Thanks!

40* and below you need to focus on deep water.

Once temps hit 45* and up to 65* focus on shallows in locations that hold baitfish.

Walleye will be spawning very soon, their feeding activity is ramping up right now.

The best conditions to fish are nasty rainy nights.

Caught 14 walleye and 1 sauger yesterday fishing the Tennessee River near FT Loudon dam, was fishing for White bass and Stripers. Oddly all were from a single year class and measured only 12" long. Large White bass in the 2~3 lb  range were everywhere and we also lucked onto 2 Stripers. I was beginning to think flows would never come down.

Edited by Mountain fisher
dumb****ery

Got this one in the Susquehanna in Md back in December, targeting schoolie striper.   I've caught a few little ones 20+ years ago, but something tells me it'll be a long time before I top this.   It was delicious.  I order it whenever I travel to Wisconsin for work.   My favorite freshwater fish to eat. 

IMG_1886.jpg.a30c547335ab6d2bbea6ae6ca9a9cb65.jpg

I don’t know any specifics about the warts, but I can say our Susquehanna fish get them also... I’ve seen them for years. Fish seem healthy otherwise. 

On 3/14/2020 at 3:56 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

Could this be it?

walleye epidermal hyperplasia virus

Just did a little reading up in this... sounds like you may have nailed  it here. Good call :th:

From February to April Walleye fishing in Massachusetts can be on fire becuase thats when they spawn. If you know where to look and what they want you can have double digit days in New England waters. My biggest is only 24 inches and the smaller one is 22.

dinga.jpg

FB_IMG_1584837372854 (1).jpg