IwantToCatchaFatFish

Bluefish in March?? (Boston)

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

hey guys so i was thinking about heading over to boston harbor tonight to try out my new setup throwing lures is there any chance of catching bluefish or stripers right now i dont want to go waste time please let me know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think there is any chance to catch a bluefish. I haven’t really started getting cut off until June. They seem around in numbers late July/August. There’s other guys on here into the holdover striper game that might have some positive reinforcement for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It says on the mass fishing website that ths season for blues is all year. So you think if i head out to the harbor itll be a waste of time? is it really completely empty out there? im on spring break and dying to catch a fish!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think your chances are next to none? 
Fish for holdover Stripers ? 
Blues come in   If they come after the Stripers   June ? 

Edited by ccb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 mins ago, IwantToCatchaFatFish said:

It says on the mass fishing website that ths season for blues is all year. So you think if i head out to the harbor itll be a waste of time? is it really completely empty out there? im on spring break and dying to catch a fish!!

I think they are all year because they know you have no chance of catching them. Gray sole, weakfish, dab are also all year. I think you could cast/bottom fish all year 24/7 in Boston and never catch any. Redfish is also all year but you gotta go deep I believe. I’ve only caught them at depth that Isn’t available from shore in Boston. I do remember reading someone catching a big holdover striper in the Charles last couple years. The thread had pictures. Why not throw at one of the bridges, chance at largemouth bass and stripers.

Edited by mattyice902
Forgot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, mattyice902 said:

I think they are all year because they know you have no chance of catching them. Gray sole, weakfish, dab are also all year. I think you could cast/bottom fish all year 24/7 in Boston and never catch any. Redfish is also all year but you gotta go deep I believe. I’ve only caught them at depth that Isn’t available from shore in Boston. 

Do you suppose what the DMF meant was there's no closed season on them? In other words, they can be kept all year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, IwantToCatchaFatFish said:

It says on the mass fishing website that ths season for blues is all year. So you think if i head out to the harbor itll be a waste of time? is it really completely empty out there? im on spring break and dying to catch a fish!!

You don't seem to like the answer you received, yet you think that repeating the question will yield dramatically different answers.  

 

You have about as much chance of seeing Jesus walk across the Charles (open water) as you do seeing any bluefish within 100 miles of Boston Harbor.

 

You probably won't like my answer, but before reiterating an already-clear question, why don't you do a search for bluefish behavior or similar?  You *might* consider checking preferred water temperatures, then see if there's any difference between those temps and the water temp anywhere this side of Long Island.

 

Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, bob_G said:

Do you suppose what the DMF meant was there's no closed season on them? In other words, they can be kept all year.

Yes but the fish that have a broader catching season, and are desirable seem to have dates attached. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 mins ago, IwantToCatchaFatFish said:

hey guys so i was thinking about heading over to boston harbor tonight to try out my new setup throwing lures is there any chance of catching bluefish or stripers right now i dont want to go waste time please let me know

NO!  YOU WILL NOT WASTE TIME. 

Will you catch Boofish?   Nope!

But you will not be wasting your time.

Chances on WSB....maybe rabbit! ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

You don't seem to like the answer you received, yet you think that repeating the question will yield dramatically different answers.  

 

You have about as much chance of seeing Jesus walk across the Charles (open water) as you do seeing any bluefish within 100 miles of Boston Harbor.

 

You probably won't like my answer, but before reiterating an already-clear question, why don't you do a search for bluefish behavior or similar?  You *might* consider checking preferred water temperatures, then see if there's any difference between those temps and the water temp anywhere this side of Long Island.

 

Just a thought.

 

Edited by bob_G
If you wish to talk like that, it's time for you to go elsewhere. There's plenty of other places to act like a jerk. But not here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No such thing as time wasted on the water. Also absolutely no chance you'll find any bluefish right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Sandbar1 said:

No such thing as time wasted on the water. Also absolutely no chance you'll find any bluefish right now.

They aren't gonna like your answer, mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.