Nigel Haywood

The British may, or may not, be coming

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Not fished the Cape since June 2016, but as the project I've been working on is coming to an end, I plan on coming back at the beginning of June. And, in an ideal world, to keep coming back. There should be at least five or six of us at Dennis Port again, Covid 19 willing. Sorry that Mike looks like he won't be able to make it, fingers crossed that he has a speedy recovery and the wetsuit/DH combo will be visible again out on the flats before too long.  I've just looked at photos of the sand bars: obviously need to completely rethink things when a tub becomes a tide race.  Anyhow, I really hope that a few of you I've met up with in the past will be around, you've helped make all the previous visits memorable. 

Hi Nigel

Good to see you returning to the Cape. Also nice that a crew is coming over at the same time. Start of June is a very good time.

Dave Maslin will be pleased to see you all.

My recovery has started but not in time for 2020. Maybe the year after 

Have a good trip.

Mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nigel Dave Maslin sold his motel at the end of Sea Street. He bought a larger Motel named "The Doryman" on Sea Street,  He still honors the Fishermen's Price,  My Australian son & I spent 2 weeks there in September, 2019, $50.00 per night for Double Occupancy

David is still in Florida. I believe he will be in Dennis Port in April

His phone number is 508 394 0000  73 Sea Street, Dennisport, MA 02639 

it is almost double in size at the end of Sea Street. Super Clean rooms are still David's best products.

If this Chinese flu clears the US I plan on fishing the last week in May and first Week in June, 2020. We are renting Mike's discovery in Harwich Port, MA.  When are you planing to fish the Cape?

Edited by RJ

On 3/9/2020 at 1:52 PM, Nigel Haywood said:

Not fished the Cape since June 2016, but as the project I've been working on is coming to an end, I plan on coming back at the beginning of June. And, in an ideal world, to keep coming back. There should be at least five or six of us at Dennis Port again, Covid 19 willing. Sorry that Mike looks like he won't be able to make it, fingers crossed that he has a speedy recovery and the wetsuit/DH combo will be visible again out on the flats before too long.  I've just looked at photos of the sand bars: obviously need to completely rethink things when a tub becomes a tide race.  Anyhow, I really hope that a few of you I've met up with in the past will be around, you've helped make all the previous visits memorable. 

By the way, There's no Tub. in 2017 a Nor'easter  hit Chatham Harbor and blew a opening thru the Dunes and now the Tub area is the South Way. Harding Beach, and Stage Harbor are still interesting.  There are an etimate of 50,000+ Seals hanging out in Pleasant Bay, and the beaches of Monomoy!  The Canal is still productive. 

Fingers crossed RJ, but I'm not optimistic.  We'll be there the first week of June if we can, staying at Doryman.  Thanks for all the info!  Fallback position for me at least is September, as I plan to run the rescheduled Boston Marathon and then tack a few days on the end.  In fact, if travel is allowed, I'll probably do that anyway, and perhaps try Nantucket or the Vineyard (neither of which I've ever fished) to see if I can get a bonito or albacore.

This is a day by day situation. No one could have known just how fluid this situation is. I'm on the Cape and Yarmouth has closed its 

beaches. I just came back from LI and the beaches were open but the crowds were very large. We'll see how this plays out.

Better safe than sorry.  Someone I know is in intensive care very scary . FishHawk

9 mins ago, FishHawk II said:

I just came back from LI and the beaches were open but the crowds were very large. 

Jeez,so not good....but that crowd situation will resolve itself real quick if that keeps up.

I think it might last until late July (hopefully) only time will tell. If there is a Silver Lining in all of this perhaps there will be less fishing

pressure and the bass might have a little rebound. FishHawk

Nigel, do not make reservations on the Cape.  If this horrid and nasty C-19 Virus lingers beyond May.  If you still want to fish the Cape in the fall I may have opening's for September 26 to October 3 at the Harwich Port Digs October 3 to October 10 in the Fall.  The southbound migration will be heading south during late September in October. PM me if you are interested.

RJ

On 3/22/2020 at 8:36 AM, FishHawk II said:

This is a day by day situation. No one could have known just how fluid this situation is. I'm on the Cape and Yarmouth has closed its 

beaches. I just came back from LI and the beaches were open but the crowds were very large. We'll see how this plays out.

Better safe than sorry.  Someone I know is in intensive care very scary . FishHawk

Fish Hawk, I have cousins on Long Island who came back from a Aruba Cruise in February with C-19.  Lou died yesterday in the Hospital and Joan is suffering at home.

The effn crowds on the LI beaches will be sorry for mingling in these crowds.

I'm riding out the curse in my place in Highlands, NJ.! Stay away from crowds.

Wear a muffler, if you can"t get a mask. the double fold of a muffler will protect you.

Many thanks RJ, I'm keeping everything under review.  I'm not convinced Boston will go ahead either, which will be a bummer.  Stay safe!

Just found out that my cousin who is a doctor has it. A friend in my club just got off a ventilator !  Scary times. Nigel don't come over now it's not worth but you probably cant't anyway. FishHawk

Thanks FishHawk. In January I booked two return flights to Boston, one was April, now turned into a voucher, which I'll probably use for the Boston Marathon next year; the other for June, which may or may not be used in September.  Although I rely on British Airways surviving.  These are crazy times, and I'm following everyone's advice on C-19 with considerable interest, locked peacefully in my garden shed trying to meet an end of April deadline.  Looking forward to getting over there at some stage!

Nigel

You will get over thats a given. It is just when. Taking a walk today I was constantly reminded that this is perfect Buzzer conditions. Even made the odd imaginary cast and a take as I strolled with my wife.

We have learned a ton of stuff we did not know about each other before.

I have Anne’s birthday nailed down to the exact day now.

Great that you have plans to run the Boston marathon.

Mike