Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The BuzzardsBayBruin

2020 Lobster Fishing *Reports*

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m unloading some traps if anyone is interested check out the BST. I have some canal gear to go with ( black rope / additional bricks ) 

Edited by The BuzzardsBayBruin

mine will go out shortly. they are currently sitting on the rocks. I havent had mine poached In 5 years ever since I started setting my ropes a foot below low tide mark. you need to get wet to poach mine:)

6 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

mine will go out shortly. they are currently sitting on the rocks. I havent had mine poached In 5 years ever since I started setting my ropes a foot below low tide mark. you need to get wet to poach mine:)

Need to get wet to poach mine too, I’ve had people set on top of me because they didn’t realize I was there... it’s worth it to get them out. I’m pulling every 1-3 days as long as they let me leave the house

Just now, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

Need to get wet to poach mine too, I’ve had people set on top of me because they didn’t realize I was there... it’s worth it to get them out. I’m pulling every 1-3 days as long as they let me leave the house

nobody has set on me yet. I'm not in a great desired area but getting at least 2 keepers every pull out of 2 traps is keeping me happy. 

Saw some sketchy guy carrying a trap over his shoulder heading right for my numbers. When he saw me he turned around and disappeared 

strange behavior, I had another SOL me never with me and we both agreed it was very very odd what that guy did. 

watch out for poachers everyone, take all the precautions. It’s early and I’ve already had 2 people working in on my gear :banghd:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dylan,

Very often when guys steal your traps they only move them 100 yards and begin fishing them again. They bank on the fact that if lost, most guys don't look for their gear. At the end of the season they just leave them.

Edited by bob_G

Thank you for the tip... I like the traps I just launched. I don’t plan on losing any if I can help it. The 4’  traps are a bear even with the appropriate gear... hopefully they are enough of a deterrent for these guys. The hog rings will hopefully slow them down too

12 mins ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

Thank you for the tip... I like the traps I just launched. I don’t plan on losing any if I can help it. The 4’  traps are a bear even with the appropriate gear... hopefully they are enough of a deterrent for these guys. The hog rings will hopefully slow them down too

I hate the 4 foot traps,300 of those a day and your body really feels it.I would think thief's wouldn't want to mess with them.

2 mins ago, hotfishgirl said:

I hate the 4 foot traps,300 of those a day and your body really feels it.I would think thief's wouldn't want to mess with them.

I can only imagine what a commercial day would be like. Especially in tough conditions.

Bringing them down to the rocks is a chore for sure

it wouldn’t be so bad in the canal if it wasn’t for the tide. Unfortunately slack doesn’t last long enough to check 7 traps

37 mins ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

Dylan,

Hog ringing the doors shut, bad idea. Guys pull the trap, sees it loaded with lobster, and they rip the doors off.  I'd advise against it.