Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

The daylight hours are growing longer and the weather appears to be breaking. It’s just about time! 

I have a few traps on order and plan to splash them this upcoming week If they arrive in a timely manor. A few changes for me this year,  I’m dropping from running 8 traps to only 5/6. Fishing from the canal there is a lot to carry on those rocks. The extra bait for the 7th/8th trap required an extra bucket and was just too much of a hassle last year.

As always I’ll be making a few modifications to this years batch of traps. I am particularly excited about the “new” batch of traps I’ve ordered for 2020. I’ve had great success with this size/style in the past catching not only crustaceans but tautog and big winter flounder as well. 

One of the modifications I plan on trying is a short bridle going down the long part of the trap instead of the traditional streamline method in hopes that it will make the challenge of poaching even more difficult. ( good luck pulling these traps in sideways without a float pole :laugh: ) My hopes are that this will also help the kitchen heads from being blocked by drifting weeds. 

Good luck out there folks!

Definitely fine just fishing 5 or 6 traps.........Plenty of lobbies........Gotta Be careful carrying that stuff on the rocks........I have had a few bad falls in my time........

I'm hoping to get traps back in this spring. My 2 year absence has me really missing it.  There used to be a time Macnally  and I fished 25 traps in the canal, and checked them all on one tide! The things you do when you're young. :laugh:

20 hours ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

The daylight hours are growing longer and the weather appears to be breaking. It’s just about time! 

I have a few traps on order and plan to splash them this upcoming week If they arrive in a timely manor. A few changes for me this year,  I’m dropping from running 8 traps to only 5/6. Fishing from the canal there is a lot to carry on those rocks. The extra bait for the 7th/8th trap required an extra bucket and was just too much of a hassle last year.

As always I’ll be making a few modifications to this years batch of traps. I am particularly excited about the “new” batch of traps I’ve ordered for 2020. I’ve had great success with this size/style in the past catching not only crustaceans but tautog and big winter flounder as well. 

One of the modifications I plan on trying is a short bridle going down the long part of the trap instead of the traditional streamline method in hopes that it will make the challenge of poaching even more difficult. ( good luck pulling these traps in sideways without a float pole :laugh: ) My hopes are that this will also help the kitchen heads from being blocked by drifting weeds. 

Good luck out there folks!

I am heading right for all your lobsters. Then I’ll trade you my top secret squid numbers for all the jigs your traps collect 

It died out in December for me

Someone has been fishing my traps. I went to haul the gear from last year and install my new traps and they all had fresh bait and lobsters

tons of eggers but I got 7 keepers. Thanks buddy who ever baited my traps! They are gong to be pissed when they find out I’m fishing again

9269C560-9336-4D9E-814B-F6D636C84861.jpeg

Just now, bob_G said:

Those guys already considered those traps as theirs.  Be prepared for retaliation. Lobsters do strange things to people.

I am fishing 4’ traps now... I noticed a bright white rope in between 2 of my traps. I’m guessing it’s him

good luck pulling them up now haha.

its obvious he has no float pole. I used 3 hog rings on each trap too. Hopefully I don’t lose all my new gear to the prick. I’m alerting EPO in the morning.

Good news today, the guy who was poaching/also fishing in between 2 of my traps showed signs of being there between Thursday night and Saturday morning

He was kind enough to leave my gear alone, ( if it’s someone who is reading this, thank you for not messing with my equipment any further. No hard feelings here ... there is plenty of room for all of us to fish our own traps! )

53 mins ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

No hard feelings here ... there is plenty of room for all of us to fish our own traps! )

No hard feelings? Dylan, you'll never make a good canal lobsterman with that attitude. :box:

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

No hard feelings? Dylan, you'll never make a good canal lobsterman with that attitude. :box:

I’d rather work with someone than against. :hi5: 

it can get ugly, I’d rather just enjoy the experience

1 min ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

I’d rather work with someone than against. :hi5: 

it can get ugly, I’d rather just enjoy the experience

The best part about canal lobstering is pay back and holding grudges.