bassturds

Herring

Rate this topic

109 posts in this topic

I don't know the exact answer. But there is an official looking sign posted at the Bournedale run saying taking of herring is prohibited except by those with tribal ID. 

1 hour ago, MoreLunkers said:

Snagged one of these in the Charles today. I’m sure I could google it but figured I’d ask you guys... what is it?? 

23D2FDC8-4482-4108-B6F4-A96E702DAB76.jpeg

Bait?

3 hours ago, MoreLunkers said:

Snagged one of these in the Charles today. I’m sure I could google it but figured I’d ask you guys... what is it?? 

Alewife.

Don't feel bad about snagging 'em. When they are in thick it's almost impossible not to sometimes. Just toss 'em back.

They were in thick at the Mystic Lakes/River today. Seems the Boston runs are well under way finally.

9 hours ago, Intrepid95 said:

Alewife.

Don't feel bad about snagging 'em. When they are in thick it's almost impossible not to sometimes. Just toss 'em back.

They were in thick at the Mystic Lakes/River today. Seems the Boston runs are well under way finally.

good to hear they flooded the mystic. I have been putting a lot of time in over there recently without a lick

Not in this thread's area of concern but the Hudson is LOADED with herring this spring. 

Always a good sign.

Stripers are far and few between past three days up near Kingston.

On 3/9/2020 at 11:22 AM, hotfishgirl said:

I'm heading out now to check a few runs i'll report back later.

Have they spawned yet! This chilly Spring could be holding the cold water below the

Herring water temptress that would kill their eggs?

Stripers need temps over 58 and their eggs need 48 to 72 hours to absorb the protein in the egg tissue so they can be ready to school up and start to swim and eat.

I think Herring temp Line 54 or 55 degrees!  Check it out in the Runs!

30 mins ago, ANGCorsair said:

Not in this thread's area of concern but the Hudson is LOADED with herring this spring. 

Always a good sign.

AngCorsair,

what is the water Temp in the Hudson @ Kingston Now?

33 mins ago, ANGCorsair said:

Always a good sign.

The cold water will put them into the deep holes til it warms up so they can spawn

Water temps in Highland, NY are 52-53F as of yesterday. We've been hitting the holes and deep channels. Not seeing anywhere near the numbers of fish we saw last week on our electronics. We hit the larger creeks, Rondout and Esopus, as well as they warm quicker but didn't see anything.

We did see some schoolie size fish breaking on the flats south of KIngston-Rhinecliff bridge.

Weather has been cool and cold front expected here next few days.