bassturds

Herring

Rate this topic

109 posts in this topic

Went to bornedale run today, absolutely packed.  Tried fishing low slack but no go, elks was packed to the max. Seems like a good amount of fish pushing this year to spawn. there were pods of fish waiting for the tide this morning at low. Was surprised no fish were around 

Been hitting the Mystic and Charles consistently this month with no sign of a single herring. If I remember correctly the Charles was boiling around this time last year. 

8 mins ago, MoreLunkers said:

Been hitting the Mystic and Charles consistently this month with no sign of a single herring. If I remember correctly the Charles was boiling around this time last year. 

Same here. I'm actually really surprised by this. Early April I went to the dam between the Mystic lakes and there were cormorants everywhere (bald eagles too). Thought that was a great sign that herring were around already. Kinda made sense with the mild winter we had.

Haven't seen a single one since then though, and by now it should be hopping. Same as the Charles which has also been slow to start.

Not sure what that means. Maybe I'm just not getting out there as much because of covid? But from my past logs I used to see scouts in the Charles sometimes before people here were reporting them @ Bournedale.

This is a weird year in so many ways.

Water temps have been too low and water flow has been too high for the Boston Harbor runs to kick off like they did last year. One run in particular had thousands of herring backed up a couple weeks ago only to get washed back into the estuary. I’m guessing the full moon tides will create a spawning frenzy if conditions allow. 

Brewster had some herring a couple of weeks ago, but the run has not continued lately. Cold temps and high water may be the problem, but it is very strange.

18 hours ago, Vaporizor said:

Went to bornedale run today, absolutely packed.  Tried fishing low slack but no go, elks was packed to the max. Seems like a good amount of fish pushing this year to spawn. there were pods of fish waiting for the tide this morning at low. Was surprised no fish were around 

It's been my experience that when there is that much herring, the bass won't even wink at anything but a live herring at that spot.

Buddy of mine were there once flogging the water.  Seemed dead other than the herring zipping by periodically.   Then a couple native americans show up, net a herring, put it on a hook, reel in striper.  They repeated that three times in the matter of 15 minutes and left.   We didn't get a sniff throwing things that looked and/or smelled just like herring.   

4 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

It's been my experience that when there is that much herring, the bass won't even wink at anything but a live herring at that spot.

Buddy of mine were there once flogging the water.  Seemed dead other than the herring zipping by periodically.   Then a couple native americans show up, net a herring, put it on a hook, reel in striper.  They repeated that three times in the matter of 15 minutes and left.   We didn't get a sniff throwing things that looked and/or smelled just like herring.   

I put the jig for size comparison, these are exactly the same size as herring , hopefully one will work 

image.jpg

image.jpg

7 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

I've seen that same scenario play out time and again at that spot. Guys throwing the kitchen sink and getting shut out for hours. Down strolls a native American, scoops a livie, and first flip cast he's tight.