R.R. Bridge Fisher

2020 gardening thread

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

The black one is a soft bucket.  Made from felt. Easier to handle than plastic. Plants like them. They come in sizes from 1-10 gallon.

IMG_20200806_104810.jpg

Thanks, I just "googled" soft buckets to what you meant. I too grow in containers and those look interesting. Do you place them directly on the ground and leave them full all winter?

11 mins ago, K Foley said:

Thanks, I just "googled" soft buckets to what you meant. I too grow in containers and those look interesting. Do you place them directly on the ground and leave them full all winter?

Yup, place them on the ground.   I have left them out all winter with no damage. I redo my container soil each year. Dump the old soil into a large container, add cow manure, some additional potting soil, and place back in the pot.

If you do decide to buy some, really search online. Prices vary wildly.  Plus, I love the handles.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Yup, place them on the ground.   I have left them out all winter with no damage. I redo my container soil each year. Dump the old soil into a large container, add cow manure, some additional potting soil, and place back in the pot.

If you do decide to buy some, really search online. Prices vary wildly.  Plus, I love the handles.

Thanks for the info and i see what you mean just playing a little on line. Much cheaper than brick and mortar stores for sure. I "renew "my soil as well each year.The only issue I have dealt with is some blight with the tomatoes that I seem to be getting under control organically this year. I will be switching out of the hard plastic buckets next spring for sure.

1 min ago, K Foley said:

Thanks for the info and i see what you mean just playing a little on line. Much cheaper than brick and mortar stores for sure. I "renew "my soil as well each year.The only issue I have dealt with is some blight with the tomatoes that I seem to be getting under control organically this year. I will be switching out of the hard plastic buckets next spring for sure.

Most hydroponic stores carry them.  I think they're very popular among home cannabis growers.  But I bought mine on Amazon. Of course they came from China.  But they were also half the price.

Tomatoes.

I've got some beautiful plants, covered with fruit, but nothing is ripening?   Last year I was up to my armpits in tomatoes, all sizes by 8/7.   I'd say this year I'm 2 weeks away.

How are yours doing?

36 mins ago, bob_G said:

Tomatoes.

I've got some beautiful plants, covered with fruit, but nothing is ripening?   Last year I was up to my armpits in tomatoes, all sizes by 8/7.   I'd say this year I'm 2 weeks away.

How are yours doing?

My cherry and grape tomatoes are going crazy-  we’ve been picking for a couple weeks.  We only have one beefsteak and have gotten about a dozen tomatoes so far.  I’ll be making pickles tonight- overnight spicy pickles are the best!!  I’m not sure what to do with all this zucchini...

50D06B6D-0FB2-4FD0-A1F2-03D035FCCFE8.jpeg

25 mins ago, Fitzy said:

My cherry and grape tomatoes are going crazy-  we’ve been picking for a couple weeks.  We only have one beefsteak and have gotten about a dozen tomatoes so far.  I’ll be making pickles tonight- overnight spicy pickles are the best!!  I’m not sure what to do with all this zucchini...

50D06B6D-0FB2-4FD0-A1F2-03D035FCCFE8.jpeg

Nice stuff Fitzy.   I love zucchini, and mine took a merciless beating this year at the hands of my chipmunk friends.  They either dug up the seeds as soon as I planted them, or pulled out the seedlings as soon as they broke the soil.

15 mins ago, bob_G said:

Nice stuff Fitzy.   I love zucchini, and mine took a merciless beating this year at the hands of my chipmunk friends.  They either dug up the seeds as soon as I planted them, or pulled out the seedlings as soon as they broke the soil.

Yah, I had a brief issue with a groundhog.  He mowed down our snow peas early in the year, but I got rid of him that day.

Hope you get those chipmunks taken care of.  We have a local hawk that hangs out in our neighborhood- he must be the one keeping our chipmunks in check.