R.R. Bridge Fisher

2020 gardening thread

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

Just now, OGCaster said:

That's good news.  Other thought would be due to low pollination, but I think you looked down that path already.

Yea, lately the females are shriveling up before they even open. Some people have cut open the premature blooms and self pollinated with good results, but mine are biting it before I get the chance. 

6 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Yea, lately the females are shriveling up before they even open. Some people have cut open the premature blooms and self pollinated with good results, but mine are biting it before I get the chance. 

Sounds like this?

https://ask.extension.org/questions/199548

Which for them ultimately comes down to overheating.

1 hour ago, OGCaster said:

Late reply here, but I'll add to it for what its worth.  I tend to pick my tomatoes at first blush.   They will continue to reopen just fine off the vine, and this seems to avoid a lot of problems with splitting, being eaten, ...  might be worth a try.

For example this is way later than normal for me on many of these [was out of town].  Even the ones with the slight orange tint will go red after being picked.  I see 17 in here I'd say are harvestable.

20200722_081129.jpg.021a3a97ea8cd9eebe342a7b92242ad5.jpg

Beautiful tomatoes. What strain?

6 mins ago, OGCaster said:

Pretty sure these are power pops.  My labels got all mixed up this year.

I get clusters, but not like that.  Did you begin them from seeds?  Well done.

18 mins ago, bob_G said:

I get clusters, but not like that.  Did you begin them from seeds?  Well done.

Yeah, we went all out this year on lockdown and started seeds in April.  Kept them under an old saltwater  aquarium light [mix of blue and yellow light].  Came out really strong and healthy.

They are in raised beds mostly leaf mulch / grass clippings with some old earthtainer soil mix.  So it all drains real well.  The bed has a keyhole in the middle where we throw the kitchen scraps for compost.

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, OGCaster said:

Yeah, we went all out this year on lockdown and started seeds in April.  Kept them under an old saltwater  aquarium light [mix of blue and yellow light].  Came out really strong and healthy.

They are in raised beds mostly leaf mulch / grass clippings with some old earthtainer soil mix.  So it all drains real well.  The bed has a keyhole in the middle where we throw the kitchen scraps for compost.

Power pop is a Burpee seed, no?

They'll be on my list next year.  I see myself starting all my plants from seeds next year as good varieties from green houses are becoming tough to find.

Composting doesn't work for me.  Between the skunks, possums, woodchucks and now deer it's tough keeping them away.   I began feeding my garden Alaskan Fish Formula this year.  Smells close to Vietnamese fish sauce.  Right after I feed, I notice an uptick in skunks.  

Edited by bob_G

It is, also got some 4th of july from them that are doing well.  I targeted the quickest varieties with all the unknowns this spring.  In general our yard runs a week or two later from large tree shade.

4 mins ago, OGCaster said:

It is, also got some 4th of july from them that are doing well.  I targeted the quickest varieties with all the unknowns this spring.  In general our yard runs a week or two later from large tree shade.

I'm all about tomatoes.  In the past, I did 5 gallon buckets with a soil  I make myself. 

This year tried something different. Planted half our plants in the raised beds.  The other half, I've been gradually switching from 5 gallon  buckets, to 5-7 gallon soft buckets.   So far, of the three styles, the soft buckets are winning.

I have shade tree issues too. I bought a lithium battery powered extendable chain saw this spring, and did some major pruning to increase sunlight.   It helped, but I'll do more in the fall.

Starting to do battle with squash bugs and powdery mildew; but the gardens pumping veggies out now. Been picking squash;cucumbers; and cayenne peppers for a week or two. D5D95064-3E88-4888-AC8A-0F834FC5EB06.jpeg.4e1913a1b2990577eca69b91b7538e1e.jpeg12A82C4E-E1DC-41A9-A897-94A7896CC398.jpeg.2dac9907edcbf6537d24c21b9b0b086d.jpeg

On 7/23/2020 at 9:05 PM, bob_G said:

I'm all about tomatoes.  In the past, I did 5 gallon buckets with a soil  I make myself. 

This year tried something different. Planted half our plants in the raised beds.  The other half, I've been gradually switching from 5 gallon  buckets, to 5-7 gallon soft buckets.   So far, of the three styles, the soft buckets are winning.

I have shade tree issues too. I bought a lithium battery powered extendable chain saw this spring, and did some major pruning to increase sunlight.   It helped, but I'll do more in the fall.

Soft buckets?

5 mins ago, K Foley said:

Soft buckets?

The black one is a soft bucket.  Made from felt. Easier to handle than plastic. Plants like them. They come in sizes from 1-10 gallon.

IMG_20200806_104810.jpg