R.R. Bridge Fisher

2020 gardening thread

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

Updated pic of the garden. Pallets are filling up with cucumbers; acorn squash and pumpkin vines. One of my squash plants that I thought vines doesn’t so the front pallet isn’t being used. First yellow 3062204E-3D95-4568-BCC2-0074714083C2.jpeg.23b161e1482822402ec3d7bf5c6b7aba.jpegsquash almost ready; been picking green beans For a week; tomato’s are just starting. Habanero plants are loaded. No acorn squash yet and no green peppers or pumpkins yet

21 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

i have chipmunks everywhere around my plants and never saw them eat anything i grow.I do feed the chipmunks cracked walnuts and seeds every few days so maybe they are full.I have one that now sits on my leg and take his food calmly.I also have a cat that sits in the window where my garden is and maybe that scares them away from my plants.

Once the tomatoes ripen, watch those. I had one year I couldn't get a ripe tomato for me before the damn chipmunks took a bit or three until I set up a "swimming pool" and "harvested" most of the critters.......

8 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Once the tomatoes ripen, watch those. I had one year I couldn't get a ripe tomato for me before the damn chipmunks took a bit or three until I set up a "swimming pool" and "harvested" most of the critters.......

Chipmunks are little devils.   I've been unable to grow sunflowers for several years. They dig the seeds as fast as I plant them.  

I often sit out in my garden with a cup of coffee to watch. Chipmunks often climb up each and every tomato plant, carefully inspecting each tomato.  They do sample ripe tomatoes.   So do catbirds. I've seen them do it.  They must think each tomato is a big ripe berry. They land right on the tomato, and jam their beak directly into the tomato.   They can devastate a whole garden. 

On 7/10/2020 at 1:57 PM, bob_G said:

Chipmunks are little devils.   I've been unable to grow sunflowers for several years. They dig the seeds as fast as I plant them.  

I often sit out in my garden with a cup of coffee to watch. Chipmunks often climb up each and every tomato plant, carefully inspecting each tomato.  They do sample ripe tomatoes.   So do catbirds. I've seen them do it.  They must think each tomato is a big ripe berry. They land right on the tomato, and jam their beak directly into the tomato.   They can devastate a whole garden. 

Try taking a plastic water bottle and cut it in half. Push it in the dirt over the newly planted sunflower seeds.  It makes a terrarium and protects the seeds until they sprout. Once they sprout i pull the cap off and when they start getting going i pull the water bottles off. 

On 7/12/2020 at 5:47 AM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Try taking a plastic water bottle and cut it in half. Push it in the dirt over the newly planted sunflower seeds.  It makes a terrarium and protects the seeds until they sprout. Once they sprout i pull the cap off and when they start getting going i pull the water bottles off. 

I've tried that for several years.  Even this year. As soon as the sunflowers begin to grow above the height of the bottle they eat off the tops.

Same problem as last year.  My bush zucchini are doing unreal.  They're in a large container, super soil, water, food.  Flowering like you read about. Only problem, all the flowers are males.  I might not get a single squash.   Any ideas?

This is the first year I’ve done a garden. Some of you guys have some amazing plots. I have zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, cukes, and a couple cherry tomato plants. The zuke and squash produced several fruits earlier and the plants continue to thrive, despite some powdery mildew I’ve been pruning out, but now the female blossoms seem to be shriveling and dying before blooming, so it isn’t a pollen issue. I’ve been researching a lot but haven’t come up with anything absolutely definitive. It seems several people attribute this to excessive heat. The plants are in full sun all day till about 4pm. Any ideas? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/10/2020 at 1:41 PM, Steve in Mass said:

Late reply here, but I'll add to it for what its worth.  I tend to pick my tomatoes at first blush.   They will continue to reopen just fine off the vine, and this seems to avoid a lot of problems with splitting, being eaten, ...  might be worth a try.

For example this is way later than normal for me on many of these [was out of town].  Even the ones with the slight orange tint will go red after being picked.  I see 17 in here I'd say are harvestable.

20200722_081129.jpg.021a3a97ea8cd9eebe342a7b92242ad5.jpg

Edited by OGCaster

31 mins ago, Seadogg said:

This is the first year I’ve done a garden. Some of you guys have some amazing plots. I have zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, cukes, and a couple cherry tomato plants. The zuke and squash produced several fruits earlier and the plants continue to thrive, despite some powdery mildew I’ve been pruning out, but now the female blossoms seem to be shriveling and dying before blooming, so it isn’t a pollen issue. I’ve been researching a lot but haven’t come up with anything absolutely definitive. It seems several people attribute this to excessive heat. The plants are in full sun all day till about 4pm. Any ideas? 

I hope it's not, but have you searched on squash bacterial wilt?  Carried by beetles, can decimate cukes, squash,...

Just now, OGCaster said:

I hope it's not, but have you searched on squash bacterial wilt?  Carried by beetles, can decimate cukes, squash,...

I read about that but I think it affects the plants themselves, but they’re doing fantastic other than the immature fruits dropping. 

32 mins ago, Seadogg said:

I read about that but I think it affects the plants themselves, but they’re doing fantastic other than the immature fruits dropping. 

That's good news.  Other thought would be due to low pollination, but I think you looked down that path already.