R.R. Bridge Fisher

2020 gardening thread

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bucko said:

Last year on the Cape chipmunks got most of my tomatoes, peppers and blueberries. They crawled up over and through the fence and other barriers I used.

Any ideas on how to get  rid of them?

A plastic claw style rat trap screwed to a board is what I use. It worked on red squirrels that were living in my house walls too. 

Or the five gallon bucket one third full of water with a layer of sunflower seeds floating on top. Provide a ramp with a trail of seeds going up it.

1 hour ago, JEFFSOD said:

Or the five gallon bucket one third full of water with a layer of sunflower seeds floating on top. Provide a ramp with a trail of seeds going up it.

this is my go to as well.  

8 hours ago, b-ware said:

Pellet gun out the window, effective, humane and legal...…………...

I doubt I could hit a chipmunk but will probably give it a try.

The five gallon bucket or traps are a good option.

Thanks to all for your advice.

I picked up tomato and pepper plants today.

Incurred some hail damage to the cucumbers in the garden Wednesday afternoon. I was not sure what it was at first and had to look up images online to partly confirm. Also spoke to a friend who confirmed hail. Thought I would share a couple of images.

IMG_7057.JPG

IMG_7058.JPG

2 hours ago, z-man said:

Anyone know what these caterpillars are that are eating our broccoli and a safe way to get rid of them?

82DF37B8-3E8D-4243-A1D8-5CF058E447B4.jpeg

93663970-ABE4-4E0F-BA3A-90813DC403FB.jpeg

Looks like cross-stripe cabbage worms.  I never had to deal with them, but a quick google search said neam oil or Bt will work.

5 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Looks like cross-stripe cabbage worms.  I never had to deal with them, but a quick google search said neam oil or Bt will work.

Thanks. I’ll pick up some BT spray. 

16 hours ago, z-man said:

Anyone know what these caterpillars are that are eating our broccoli and a safe way to get rid of them?

82DF37B8-3E8D-4243-A1D8-5CF058E447B4.jpeg

93663970-ABE4-4E0F-BA3A-90813DC403FB.jpeg

Those are the little white moths flying around during the day. They lay eggs and thats what it looks like after they hatch. We use captain jacks deadbug to treat almost everything. Not a mark on the kale or brasiccas.  Buy a harbor freight 4 gallon backpack sprayer or the cheap and bury everything with the captain jacks.  Does wonders and its Says "organic"

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 6:55 AM, Corpslave said:

Those are the little white moths flying around during the day. They lay eggs and thats what it looks like after they hatch. We use captain jacks deadbug to treat almost everything. Not a mark on the kale or brasiccas.  Buy a harbor freight 4 gallon backpack sprayer or the cheap and bury everything with the captain jacks.  Does wonders and its Says "organic"

I just sprayed my cabbage and broccoli with Capt. Jack.  It does say organic in the directions but not on the label (I believe).  I thought the way they mentioned organic was weird.

3 hours ago, PaulS said:

I just sprayed my cabbage and broccoli with Capt. Jack.  It does say organic in the directions but not on the label (I believe).  I thought the way they mentioned organic was weird.

I thought the same. Seems like “organic” might be there just for marketing. It’s the only thing I could find at Home Depot. I sprayed it just on the broccoli. Seems to have got rid of the caterpillars. 

i have chipmunks everywhere around my plants and never saw them eat anything i grow.I do feed the chipmunks cracked walnuts and seeds every few days so maybe they are full.I have one that now sits on my leg and take his food calmly.I also have a cat that sits in the window where my garden is and maybe that scares them away from my plants.