R.R. Bridge Fisher

2020 gardening thread

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Clbay1971 said:

I don’t spray until the flowering is done now. It took over three years to get my native bees back. If you don’t know they do 90% of the pollination most look like flying ants real small. The master gardeners in Minnesota said if a cat was thrown in your apple tree it would not hit a branch then you trimmed enough.I don’t cut that much off my trees. All my fruit trees are woke up and starting to show life.  

I thought dormant oil spray was before the tree shows signs of life then a spraying routine after the tree buds.

I went way overboard prunning. Trees only produced 2 apples last year.

Did i kill it?

10 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I thought dormant oil spray was before the tree shows signs of life then a spraying routine after the tree buds.

Did i kill it?

I believe that the dormant oil is used in late fall before frost to help with cold temperatures and wind chills. Trees are pretty tough only trim the ones that grow up from a branch that sideways. I think it’s called a water sprout they grow real fast and rob the tree of energy. General rule for trees is only 1/3rd at most per year for pruning. They should come back give three years and you should have more apples then you can use.

You didn't kill it. Just got carried away with cutting off your buds. 

On 3/20/2020 at 4:21 AM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Did i kill it?

I’m just starting to see signs of life- last year was the first time we had successful peppers before mid September.  I hope this year is the same.

3AFAF35E-82A8-4696-BB17-F96A6763D2A6.jpeg

On 4/4/2020 at 11:33 AM, cheech said:

Early starts under glass.

7BD83F14-B9E1-4AB4-AB9E-E8440C5EBBD7.jpeg

DC017368-D7EE-4791-A892-966C34F2EE7E.jpeg

What do you use to turn your garden over- the soil looks great.   I have 4 beds that are small, and I can manage with a shovel/rake , but it sucks.  I’m definitely in the market for a better tool. 

On 4/12/2020 at 9:50 PM, Fitzy said:

What do you use to turn your garden over- the soil looks great.   I have 4 beds that are small, and I can manage with a shovel/rake , but it sucks.  I’m definitely in the market for a better tool. 

Hey Fitzy,I agree, that’s nice soil...This cultivator does a great job turning my gardens, and I prefer a 4 tonged version. It’s wide enough to turn a fair size area...Maybe I’ll see you out there this year.

0EE7426B-C0E4-41E8-A479-7CDDDA23E514.jpeg

1 hour ago, Vt coast said:

Hey Fitzy,I agree, that’s nice soil...This cultivator does a great job turning my gardens, and I prefer a 4 tonged version. It’s wide enough to turn a fair size area...Maybe I’ll see you out there this year.

0EE7426B-C0E4-41E8-A479-7CDDDA23E514.jpeg

Hey!  It’s good to hear from you!  That rake looks good- I’ll give one a shot.  When you’re back down in the area, shoot me a pm.  It’d be good to head out for some Black Sea bass or hit the flats for some stripers.  I put your old boat to good use last year!

Finished putting the garden in today. Rototilled and put the fencing up this past weekend. Got some free pallets and built trellis for the cucumbers; acorn squash; butternut squash; and pumpkin to grow up. Have never done that before hopefully it works out well and keeps the garden a little more organized. Also have tomatoes; green beans; green peppers; hot peppers; and yellow squash. D26FC582-4106-4A69-B0DA-37E2F5B8F97E.jpeg.592ad9599e74d40e90663d20a882276a.jpeg4C7A0BBD-3286-4573-9A4B-50994842FDB3.jpeg.7329b1c4e005f0974d303418cef9243f.jpeg

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

I like the pallet idea, never seen that before...………….

My buddy did it with cucumbers and said it worked great. So I figured it should work well with all the different squashes too. The one built like a pyramid i planted pumpkins on each side hoping to run them up and over and the pumpkins should mostly be off the ground to help keep clear from rot. Only small ones 12-16” tops jack o lanterns. 

Last year on the Cape chipmunks got most of my tomatoes, peppers and blueberries. They crawled up over and through the fence and other barriers I used.

Any ideas on how to get  rid of them?

4 mins ago, Bucko said:

Last year on the Cape chipmunks got most of my tomatoes, peppers and blueberries. They crawled up over and through the fence and other barriers I used.

I’ve never used it on chipmunks but it took care of my mouse/ rat problem in no time. 
It was a trap made of a five gallon bucket with water in it, and a beer can on a metal rod going over the top. Peanut butter goes on the can and enough bird seed in the water to make it hard to tell it’s water. Critter climbs onto the can, it spins and into the drink it goes. Not very nice but very effective.

Lots if design ideas online and very easy to throw together.

17 mins ago, Bucko said:

Home depot bucket with a ferring strip ramp with black seeds up the ramp and filled half with water