R.R. Bridge Fisher

2020 gardening thread

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

When do i spray my apple trees with dormant oil spray. I gave them a very aggressive pruning over the winter so i don't know what to expect this year. They needed it.

It’s a great time of year!  I just started the pepper and eggplant seeds in the greenhouse.  I’ll get tomato plants in may- they didn’t do well in the greenhouse last year.  The beans, zucchini, and cucumbers will start from seeds right in the ground.

I’m ready for winter to be over.

60187EFC-2A4A-4707-B2DE-ABB7BE703C7F.jpeg

510A817C-F1B1-4027-87B8-7C430AAF9A36.jpeg

58CD288B-05A1-4B47-A2D8-EB9B0E7ECDFB.jpeg

Here is a complete spray schedule from the University of Tennessee. It is the best one I have found.  They have some great Youtube videos also.

Go to any big box store H.D. Lowes and buy Bonide Complete Fruit Tree Spray Concentrate.  You mix it in your own sprayer, it will last for a couple of years.

It will take care of any insect or disease/fungus throughout the season.  My buds are just showing color and opening here in Rhode Island so I applied the first spray. You want some really great fruit buy some hybrid dwarf peach trees. In just a couple of years, you will have all the peaches you want!  Check Stark Brothers they have a great variety of trees.

Univ. of Tennessee Link:

https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/PB1622.pdf

5 hours ago, Fitzy said:

It’s a great time of year!  I just started the pepper and eggplant seeds in the greenhouse.  I’ll get tomato plants in may- they didn’t do well in the greenhouse last year.  The beans, zucchini, and cucumbers will start from seeds right in the ground.

I’m ready for winter to be over.

60187EFC-2A4A-4707-B2DE-ABB7BE703C7F.jpeg

510A817C-F1B1-4027-87B8-7C430AAF9A36.jpeg

58CD288B-05A1-4B47-A2D8-EB9B0E7ECDFB.jpeg

what kind of light are you using?T5?

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

what kind of light are you using?T5?

They’re just the ones that came with the tent as a gift.  They’re 24” grow-lux fluorescent bulbs- I think t-12.  I used them last year and it worked out ok- would you go with something different that wouldn’t break the bank?

Edited by Fitzy

34 mins ago, Fitzy said:

They’re just the ones that came with the tent as a gift.  They’re 24” grow-lux fluorescent bulbs- I think t-12.  I used them last year and it worked out ok- would you go with something different that wouldn’t break the bank?

if it worked before i would stick with that one.I have been playing around with different lights/bulbs and was just curious.

I need to get on my seed game. Just set up 3 big 3x14 beds last year, and grabbed plants from a nursery. Everything we planted did pretty well, beginners luck and fresh soil. Probably a little late this year but this thread is inspiring. Thanks for sharing! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/15/2020 at 11:57 AM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Did i kill these? To aggressive?  Did mid winter

20200315_115326.jpg

I see apple trees in the woods that look like they were dead 25 years ago with fruit. They are pretty amazing. 

That said, I have no idea if you killed your trees or not. 

Edited by ged

On 3/8/2020 at 6:38 AM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

When do i spray my apple trees with dormant oil spray. I gave them a very aggressive pruning over the winter so i don't know what to expect this year. They needed it.

I don’t spray until the flowering is done now. It took over three years to get my native bees back. If you don’t know they do 90% of the pollination most look like flying ants real small. The master gardeners in Minnesota said if a cat was thrown in your apple tree it would not hit a branch then you trimmed enough.I don’t cut that much off my trees. All my fruit trees are woke up and starting to show life.  

Clbay1971- The native bees are including Mason Bees? I'm getting ready to put out a few bee houses in my areas of wild apples. We have apiaries within the  flight zone of the  apple trees, but on cold, wet springs get poor pollination. Could be fire blight, frost or other problem but I have read that mason bees handle inclement weather better. Any experience with mason or leaf cutter bees?