Fishing Toms River Area

Rate this topic

beret

Guys some help please........and this is not a request for spots , no fish have been caught just looking for information. What I am actually asking is what is the licensing needed to fish the river from shore. Learned that Island Heights for example requires a local license purchased from the town........how about other bordering river towns like Pinebeach, Beachwood,OceanGate, Gilford Park, etc........are licenses need ?? If so what kind and where to purchase..........thanks.

56 years in Pine Beach, and I never heard of any town having it's own fishing license. You are probably referring to a bathing/pier permit (badge). All of the towns on both sides require the purchase of a permit to use their beaches for swimming or piers for fishing or crabbing. I haven't fished the other side in many years. I buy a P.B. badge every year so I can take kids crabbing and fishing here.

Beach tags are only enforceable when lifeguards are on duty. Cape May and several other beach towns in South Jersey require you to wear a tag if you are fishing the beach or jetty. To get around this go early and late when there is no one to check. Also, there really isn't anyone around checking until after Memorial Day. I've never heard of a city license for fishing but considering this is New Jersey it would not surprise me if the attempt is made. You can't be fined for fishing the beach or a jetty but they can fine if you refuse to  buy the tag and continue to fish. 

I had a discussion with a town cop in Cape May who was sent to reprimand me while I was fishing a jetty fully 200 yards from the nearest lifeguard. My option was to buy the tag or leave. He said the lifeguards were there to protect swimmers, I said I'm not swimming, he came back with the guards are there for my protection. Told him I'd be drowned before he could get close enough to save me, and that would be if he actually saw me call in. To save the frustration I left, but I continue to fish all beaches until the lifeguards show. Never had a problem.

Welcome to jersey we actually had a town official tell us he would put a two dollar per rod per day permit because we were arguing the fact they were launching catarmans thru the fishing beach with a surfers beach just steps away on the south side of the jetty sometimes it beyond rediculous .rd1

Gotta get out of Jersey. Beach tags although not swimming, ramp fees when  ramps are paid for by the Dingle-Johnson Act taxes on all our tackle and boats, boating license to drive a powerboat in freshwater but not in saltwater. Really? This state is incredible with the new and novel ways to extract money from its citizens. Maybe if they stopped giving away free stuff to folks who don't want to work and illegals there'd be enough to keep what should be free, free.

I need some clarification on this

Is this 24/7 - 365 or just during the day during the season when lifeguards are present ?

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962