buddha162

Old Town AUTO PILOT

20 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, fishinbill said:

Another cool feature on the auto pilot is the ability of the motor to automatically hold a particular course bearing. Once you have the boat pointed in the correct direction, you hit a button on the remote and it’s locked in.

This would be handy if you wanted to fish along a shoreline at a slow steady speed, or when you’re heading to a new spot so that you can focus on getting your tackle ready while the motor keeps you on course. 

I don’t see myself getting one of these - because I prefer something that easily goes on the roof of my car - but I do appreciate the thought that went into it. It’s good to see Old Town giving Hobie some much-needed competition. 

yeah..

I've been looking to get a Kayak and the ones I want would take two people to get up on top of my Tahoe..  maybe just a small trailer is the only way for these types.  :shrug:

I mean looks pretty cool especially for the fresh guys. That spot lock feature looks sweet. Only thing is idk if I’d be comfortable launching or landing that thing in the surf. Would definitely be great for the bays though. I’m looking into getting a second kayak type vessle. I still think I’d take the solo skiff over this.

12 hours ago, makomakoman said:

yeah..

I've been looking to get a Kayak and the ones I want would take two people to get up on top of my Tahoe..  maybe just a small trailer is the only way for these types.  :shrug:

Yep, that's the problem with these so called "kayaks" they are great if you live on the water and don't have to transport them by vehicle. If you have to put that thing on top of an SUV it is just way too heavy. I think you definitely need a pickup truck for this to be practical. With a Tahoe you might be able to put it in the back and get one of those T bar supports that extends from the trailer hitch and strap it down on that. That could be a possibility.  

Very innovative idea, and I can appreciate the usefulness of the spot lock.  Especially if you’re fishing tautog or need to hover over an exact piece of structure.  But at what point do you just buy a small boat?  And at what point is it not even considered kayaking anymore?  I’ll stick with my hobie outback