buddha162

Old Town AUTO PILOT

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yep. The spot lock feature is very tempting. 

I think they have another version where the motor head sits below the deck in the drive cassette area, but I don’t think that version has GPS and spot lock. 

Edited by fishinbill

Looks very interesting. I can think of so many uses for the spot lock feature. Never have to use an anchor again. If the battery life is decent and it's priced right, I see little reason for anyone to buy the PA 360 over this. The only advantage I see for the PA 360 is that if you live in NJ like I do it doesn't need to be registered. Any kind of watercraft regardless of size needs to be registered if it is powered by a gas or electric motor according to NJ law. I know it's a stupid law but that's NJ. With that being said, I would still choose this over the PA 360.

41 mins ago, fishinbill said:

I think they have another version where the motor head sits below the deck in the drive cassette area, but I don’t think that version has GPS and spot lock. 

Yeah the other one is just a more streamlined watersnake DIY. The one with spot lock looks way lower than the Ultrex people are installing on the bow of various yaks...might be a little annoying working a jerkbait/topwater but probably no biggie

15 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

Looks very interesting. I can think of so many uses for the spot lock feature. Never have to use an anchor again. If the battery life is decent and it's priced right, I see little reason for anyone to buy the PA 360 over this. The only advantage I see for the PA 360 is that if you live in NJ like I do it doesn't need to be registered. Any kind of watercraft regardless of size needs to be registered if it is powered by a gas or electric motor according to NJ law. I know it's a stupid law but that's NJ. With that being said, I would still choose this over the PA 360.

I think what remains to be seen is just how precisely spot lock in that position on the yak can orient you in wind/current, ie will it be possible to face the shoreline or structure with a quartering wind from behind etc. For that matter, I'm not sure if the 360 can deal with that situation either...but from what I see on boats spot lock will usually default to holding your bow into the wind, which is fine since you can just turn around and cast but not so much on a kayak.  

2 hours ago, buddha162 said:

1k less than the Hobie 360s...I'd say a LOT of freshwater guys will go for this over the Hobie!

45lbs of thrust....I had that on my first bassboat 20 years ago......lmao

4 mins ago, buddha162 said:

I think what remains to be seen is just how precisely spot lock in that position on the yak can orient you in wind/current, ie will it be possible to face the shoreline or structure with a quartering wind from behind etc. For that matter, I'm not sure if the 360 can deal with that situation either...but from what I see on boats spot lock will usually default to holding your bow into the wind, which is fine since you can just turn around and cast but not so much on a kayak.  

Those are some really valid concerns. I never thought about that until you mentioned it. The direction you are facing is so much more important when fishing in a yak. Sometimes these new ideas look good at first but fall short when confronted with reality.  I guess you have to try one out first before buying it. 

8 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

Those are some really valid concerns. I never thought about that until you mentioned it. The direction you are facing is so much more important when fishing in a yak. Sometimes these new ideas look good at first but fall short when confronted with reality.  I guess you have to try one out first before buying it. 

A similar question is on the Old Town site, with this answer:

"Spot-Lock will keep your boat in the 10 foot or so radius from where you engaged it. It will rotate and shift the direction to keep you as close as possible to that spot. Sometimes that may be into the wind but not always."

11 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

Looks nice, but 3800 bucks?  Seems a bit much, no?

A lot depends on which model trolling motor Minn Kota converted for Old Town. The low end is around 1.3k up to over 3k for the Ultrex. Add in a lifetime warranty hull...seems "not unreasonable" lol. 

3 hours ago, fishinbill said:

A similar question is on the Old Town site, with this answer:

"Spot-Lock will keep your boat in the 10 foot or so radius from where you engaged it. It will rotate and shift the direction to keep you as close as possible to that spot. Sometimes that may be into the wind but not always."

12 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

The direction you are facing is so much more important when fishing in a yak. 

I do wonder if it's the lower end Terrova motor vs Ultrex or Ulterra. But either way "directional spot lock" might be better achieved with the Hobie 360? At least on paper it seems that way. But even into the wind, manually hovering over a spot with traditional GT drive is a bear...it'll prob take some high lvl of hand-foot--eye coordination to hover with your stern into the wind. 

Another cool feature on the auto pilot is the ability of the motor to automatically hold a particular course bearing. Once you have the boat pointed in the correct direction, you hit a button on the remote and it’s locked in.

This would be handy if you wanted to fish along a shoreline at a slow steady speed, or when you’re heading to a new spot so that you can focus on getting your tackle ready while the motor keeps you on course. 

I don’t see myself getting one of these - because I prefer something that easily goes on the roof of my car - but I do appreciate the thought that went into it. It’s good to see Old Town giving Hobie some much-needed competition. 

When a boater has spot lock it can hurt a pedal kayak fisherman as they stay hovered. 
Happened last year to several of us in the Housy.  This would be epic to have a few of these to stay in the holes on the outgoing tide.  We would own. :shaky:

"Depends on how long you're on motor. A 100aH battery can last that long as long as it's not running all six hours. The motor draws a current of 50amps (50amps per hour) at max power, so running it wide open for 6 hours straight would require 300amps. That's three group 24 size 100aH batteries(about 150lbs worth) to run that long. You could try LiFePo(Lithium) batteries to save the weight but those run $700-$1000 apiece. You could buy all those batteries, or just buy one 100aH battery and use a paddle more often and save battery power for spot locking a school of fish."