Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

OldTown Sportsman PDL 132

18 posts in this topic

Thought it would have been a new hull design with possibly lower center of gravity and less volume compared to the Predator?  No chance.  Same hull as predator with a few changes.  

"The new Bigwater PDL 132 and the Predator PDL are the exact same boat other than a different name, hull color options, updated Sportsman seat, and some different colored parts/accessories."

0EAE6EBF-73DF-40B6-AC75-B52EE8AA3716.jpeg

F58CEFFC-25FB-4F84-8DCC-928089BB9143.jpeg

0C7A04CC-3730-47A8-8971-0233FFB47ECC.jpeg

1F0BD7A8-B67A-401D-810F-688A37D3D8D0.jpeg

Yup seems like it was a much to do about nothing.  Except I do enjoy all the “pro-staff” hyping up this up, trying to sell their kayaks to buy pretty much the same boat.

I was really hoping for something like the OK Tridents getting a pedal drive.

I just sold my outback and picked up a 2020 predator pdl. I found one that had a scratch on it from shipping. I picked it up for 1900 shipped to my door with a 15 percent newsletter coupon. I couldnt pass that deal up as i was looking at the predator and really considering the topwater 120 for the price. it should be here tuesday. 

So the old predator is now a sportsman, the old topwater is now a sportsman. Any idea where the Salty sporysman pdl fits in? Differences or similarities to either the predator or topwater?

Not sure yet.  I think the entire line is still alive unless OT removed it from the website. 

20 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Not sure yet.  I think the entire line is still alive unless OT removed it from the website. 

My understanding is that 2020 Predators and Topwaters are still available.  They will replaced by the Sportsman line for the 2021 season. Currently Sportsmans are available on a limited basis to high volume dealers, but will be available to all dealers as 2021 models role out (late summer this year).   I would imagine dealers with leftover Topwaters and predators will be motivated to sell in the fall.  

As far as fishing goes in open water what’s the difference between the topwater and Predator? Are the peddles drives easier or harder to use then Hobie’s drive? 

16 hours ago, Steve_M said:

As far as fishing goes in open water what’s the difference between the topwater and Predator? Are the peddles drives easier or harder to use then Hobie’s drive? 

I just sold an outback and bought a predator pdl 2020. For ME personally i think it is less work on the legs than the mirage drive. As of now (3 trips out on it) everything so far is better than the outback in my book other than the turning radias and the 10 pounds more it weighs. i gotta get some more time on it though to really start nit picking. i will say the seat is more confortable to me too. My outback the seat always hurt my hips for some reason

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, fishguts430 said:

I just sold an outback and bought a predator pdl 2020. For ME personally i think it is less work on the legs than the mirage drive. As of now (3 trips out on it) everything so far is better than the outback in my book other than the turning radias and the 10 pounds more it weighs. i gotta get some more time on it though to really start nit picking. i will say the seat is more confortable to me too. My outback the seat always hurt my hips for some reason

Thanks for your feedback. As soon as the shops open back up I’m going to look at the Predator or Sportsman. I’ll see what the  Difference between them Are. Maybe I can get a deal on the  Predator. 

3 hours ago, fishguts430 said:

Edited by Steve_M

On 4/9/2020 at 11:19 AM, Theseeker66 said:

So the old predator is now a sportsman, the old topwater is now a sportsman. Any idea where the Salty sporysman pdl fits in? Differences or similarities to either the predator or topwater?

The Salty PDL is the hull from an Ocean Kayak Malibu PDL with some rod holders and gear track. They look pretty fishy and I wish I could get out to test one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Spazzoni said:

The Salty PDL is the hull from an Ocean Kayak Malibu PDL with some rod holders and gear track. They look pretty fishy and I wish I could get out to test one.

$1899 price point is very attractive on this yak.  No hatches to access in-hull storage, but plenty of deck space to get creative. The OK Malibu PDL is marketed as a true family recreational pedal yak. It's selling pretty well. They call the tank well a jump seat for a reward facing small passenger or dog. My customers love it.  It was a no brainer for Old Town  to add some fishing features and introduce the Salty PDL.  Fun for everyone! 

Spazz, where are you located?  I can get you on a Malibu Pedal for a test ride this spring. It will give you an idea of how the Salty performs. And... Welcome to SOL. Great stuff here! 

slty sp2.png

slty sp1.jpg

Edited by SG1

Thanks for the info and the welcome! I am in South Central PA.

The price point on the Salty is pretty nice. I'm looking for a Yak that is fairly efficient to pedal or paddle. From the little info I have found on the Malibu PDL, the hull seems to fit that. 

22 hours ago, Spazzoni said:

Thanks for the info and the welcome! I am in South Central PA.

The price point on the Salty is pretty nice. I'm looking for a Yak that is fairly efficient to pedal or paddle. From the little info I have found on the Malibu PDL, the hull seems to fit that. 

My shop is in Seaside Park, NJ.  It's a hike, but give a shout if you're heading near the jersey shore when/if i can open this summer.  Maybe we can bend a rod. You can use a PDL.