codfish

Coronavirus and spring fishing

Rate this topic

434 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2020 at 6:26 PM, Vaporizor said:

You really should not be fishing close enough to someone for that even should be a concern 

Apparently you haven't fished the Cape Cod Canal....

27 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

ONE MORE TIME......

The death rate currently appears to be ~2% ONLY BECAUSE THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE TESTED IS SO SMALL, and most of those tested are the ones that are more serious cases and/or at a higher risk. In reality, there are exponentially many more people that have this and in very mild form, as if they think it is nothing but a common cough/cold. If all those people were tested and counted in the number of cases, you would see that the actual fatality rate is MUCH lower than the current 2%.

So what you are doing is kind of comparing the death rate (by any cause) of those in nursing homes to that of the population as a whole............

I agree, but my take on this is that all the hubub created by the media is political. We know which way they lean and if you don't you need to get out from the rock you were/are hiding under. They tell you partial truths and misinformation to convey messages and propaganda that suits their agenda. Stop believing whatever some moron puts on paper or spouts at you from your TV. The CDC will report the necessary protocol when the time is right. When they do that is when to respond as they direct. This nonsense of cancelling events, closing stores and mask wearing is silly and counterproductive. There's not enough masks now for medical workers who need them far more than Joe Shmoe on the street.

Settle down, stop overreacting and have a beer, enjoy life, it's too short to worry about ridiculous things  that you have little control over.

33 mins ago, clambellies said:

Apparently you haven't fished the Cape Cod Canal....

Hahaha, yeah never been there , would you please be as kind to give me directions please. Is a place close to where i live that could be similar.  I have a picture from yesterday morning 

20200307_102341.jpg

20200307_102332.jpg

22 mins ago, Vaporizor said:

Hahaha, yeah never been there , would you please be as kind to give me directions please. Is a place close to where i live that could be similar.  I have a picture from yesterday morning 

20200307_102341.jpg

20200307_102332.jpg

That spot looks "similar" but couldn't be as good. (Because) Look, there are no crowds!

Fear is a powerful tool that has been used for influencing and controlling the masses. Just something to think about. Swine flu, Anthrax, Ebola virus, ect. I have no faith that anything the media promotes is unbiased. They have zero percent credibility in my book. I do however avoid large crowds if possible, especially during flu and cold season and because I like peace and quite. Hey, I'm old :) I have had exactly one flu shot in my life, that was in 1971 when I was 23 years old and that year I had to be hospitalized because of complications from the flu. I'm not telling anyone not to get a flu shot, that's your decision, (at least for now anyway) This is only my experience with the one time I got one. My good fishing buddy (he's old too) gets a flu shot every year and every year he get the flu LOL.

Tight lines

I'm surprised every fishing show is not cancelled.All my comic cons have been cancelled and most people would be wearing a mask/costume.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

ONE MORE TIME......

The death rate currently appears to be ~2% ONLY BECAUSE THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE TESTED IS SO SMALL, and most of those tested are the ones that are more serious cases and/or at a higher risk. In reality, there are exponentially many more people that have this and in very mild form, as if they think it is nothing but a common cough/cold. If all those people were tested and counted in the number of cases, you would see that the actual fatality rate is MUCH lower than the current 2%.

So what you are doing is kind of comparing the death rate (by any cause) of those in nursing homes to that of the population as a whole............

What you are saying has a good chance of being true, however it would also mean that the rate of infection will go up indicating that the virus has been easily transmitted with little or no awareness of those who have it. This would mean that this a very stealthy bug.  Just think of what this virus could do to the population of Florida!!!!!!!

The question is; do you have any friends or family members who are elderly or have a compromised immune system?

Edited by MikeBlue

On 3/6/2020 at 6:22 PM, codfish said:

Will the up coming trade shows be effected?? will it scare people away from crowded areas and drive them to fish more??

"Boston seafood show postponed; coronavirus claims one of industry's most important trade shows"

I work at a very large exhibit and trade show company. We went from our normal spring madness to having every trade show we normally do for the next 4 months getting cancelled. From 50-60 hours a week to being told people will be let go, people need to take 2 weeks unpaid, and potential layoffs on the union side of things.

23 mins ago, MikeBlue said:

What you are saying has a good chance of being true, however it would also mean that the rate of infection will go up indicating that the virus has been easily transmitted with little or know awareness of those who have it. This would mean that this a very stealthy bug.  Just think of what this virus could do to the population of Florida!!!!!!!

The question is; do you have any friends or family members who are elderly or have a compromised immune system?

100%

My fiance has a compromised immune system so I'm being extremely cautious with my future moves. I fish alone or with one other person in places that never have anyone there so it won't change how I fish.

5 hours ago, giggyfish said:

Well doesn’t everybody feel better now that Sim has singlehandedly diffused the corona virus hysteria. 

Why are you being a jerk? :squid:

Unfounded hysteria caused by misinformation is more deadly than the virus. You better hope you have a job in a month or two because of the hysteria....

Now just STOP IT.

3 hours ago, MikeBlue said:

What you are saying has a good chance of being true,

There is new data out today that is showing exactly what I said. Give me a bit to o grab it and post it.

It must be difficult to lug around all the worlds wisdom. 

I’m just busting your balls but you raised your voice at me and that sort of triggered my inner millennial. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

• Daily Stats as of 5:30 AM CT (from John's Hopkins)
  •  
  • Total Confirmed Cases Worldwide: 110,617 (up from 100,242 Friday)
  • Total Confirmed Deaths Worldwide: 3,831 (up from 3,408 Friday)
  • 62,397 Patients Have Recovered from COVID-19 Worldwide
  • 109 Countries Have Confirmed Cases (up from 94 Friday) 4 more have Suspected Cases
  • 13% of Confirmed Cases are considered Serious (Requiring Hospitalization, down from 16% Friday and 19% on Tuesday), with 4% requiring ICU
  • US has 554 Confirmed Cases, and now 22 Deaths
  • Confirmed Cases in the 27 US States, with 6 More Tracking Suspected cases

See the bold above. This is exactly what has been expected as more people are tested and the fatality rate is following the same trend.

And then there is this:

US Case Count Expected to Spike Dramatically This Week As Large Scale Testing Gets Underway

• In January, doctors at the CDC decided to reject the WHO standards for Coronavirus testing (noting the 30% false-negative rate seen in Chinese tests)
  • Tests produced by the CDC in early February were designed to test for SARS-CoV-2 (virus that causes COVID-19) as well as SARS-CoV-1 (SARS) and MERS-CoV-1 (MERS) were faulty and had to be replaced.
  • By today, March 9th, more than 2.2 Million new test kits will have been sent to regional laps and hospitals, according to the US Surgeon General
  • Large scale testing is expected to dramatically increase the case count in the US. There are currently over 1,200 suspected cases across 33 states

Farr's Law and COVID-19

• COVID-19 May burn itself out naturally.
  • Farr's law was formulated by Dr William Farr in 1840 indicates that Epidemic outbreaks follow a bell-curve pattern.
  • Almost all epidemics follow this pattern, including a sharp increase in cases at the beginning of the cycle, a peak, and then a decline in cases and a return to baseline.
  • The pattern exists because human beings modify their behavior to avoid getting sick, and those who do get sick seek medical attention.
  • China, which had its first cases in December, peaked in late January or early February, and now is in the decline of spread phase because of modified behavior (Quarantines, social distancing, medical care, etc).
  • US is about 45-50 days behind where China sits, still in the 'up' phase of the Bell Curve.
  • Farr's law indicates that our Peak in cases should be in April/early May, and then a decline through June/July.

And now for some myths:

Debunking Coronavirus Myths 

• The World Health Organization has launched a website to combat myths about COVID-19 circulating online.
  • Among the myths being busted:
    • No, eating raw garlic will not prevent Coronavirus infection.
    • No, taking a really hot bath will not prevent infection or kill Coronavirus.
    • Likewise, Cold and Snow are not cold enough to kill Coronavirus.
    • Coronavirus cannot be spread by mosquito bites.
    • No, hand dryers and hair dryers do not get hot enough to kill Coronavirus.
    • No, spraying your body with Alcohol, Bleach or Hand Sanitizer will not kill Coronavirus already in your body.
    • No, regularly rinsing your nose with Saline will not prevent Coronavirus infection.
    • No, having sex with someone who had COVID-19 and has recovered will not prevent Coronavirus infection.
    • No, pets cannot get sick from Coronavirus (note: study from Japan did indicate Dogs can be carriers of the virus, unknown if they can pass it to humans)

Edited by Steve in Mass