codfish

Coronavirus and spring fishing

Rate this topic

434 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Did you not read and/or understand my post? :squid:

No, didn’t read it before responding to what was a post made earlier than yours.  But Looks like you and I are the same page.   Feel better now?

On 3/7/2020 at 9:39 AM, jason colby said:

I was just on a jet with 240 passengers. Two were wearing masks. 

A week in Florida I saw another two masks. I think the public, in general realizes that the media is trying to whip this into more than it is. The death rate in Asia, where this is most prevalent, is less than 2% while here it "seems to be" in excess of 5%. An average of 10,000 people/year die in The USA from "the flu"; another 100 deaths will not skew the overall percentage above the normal percentage by enough of a percentage point to make an overall difference. Wake me up when the death count in the USA spikes to something above the norm.

This is just a "strain of flu" and a lot of the media hype is for ratings. Granted, the flu, in any form, is quite dangerous in people who are elderly or otherwise have weakened immune systems and that is where the death toll is particularly high. They are at risk and should be particularly cautious about getting "any flu". I used to get sick every winter until about 10 years ago I started getting flu shots every fall and I have not been sick since. Like any flu strain, we will soon have a vaccine for this one, we just have to ride it--this out without (unnecessarily) panicking.

Surely, "sometime in the future" (no one knows when, and it is "when" not "if") there will be a strain of flu or something easily transmittable that is far more deadly and if the death rate was in the double digits, we can all quarantine ourselves and we won't need the media to try and panic us to make us do it. We are not that stupid.... 

The 2% death rate you speak of is 20 times the death rate of the flu which is .1%. So if millions of people get COVID  19 the amount dead would be huge. Just saying. 

53 mins ago, Tailslap said:

The 2% death rate you speak of is 20 times the death rate of the flu which is .1%. So if millions of people get COVID  19 the amount dead would be huge. Just saying. 

In the past century, more people died of "the flu" than WW1, WW2 AND Viet Nam combined. Any type of easily transmittable illness puts everyone at risk. All I'm saying is lets not bury our heads in the sand and not come out until we hear "all clear". We can still live our lives in relative safety and the media is trying hard to whip everyone into a state of panic. All I'm saying...

25 mins ago, jason colby said:

In the past century, more people died of "the flu" than WW1, WW2 AND Viet Nam combined. Any type of easily transmittable illness puts everyone at risk. All I'm saying is lets not bury our heads in the sand and not come out until we hear "all clear". We can still live our lives in relative safety and the media is trying hard to whip everyone into a state of panic. All I'm saying...

Don't bury your head, yes, but also don't think it's just like the flu. There are vaccines for the flu. There is no vaccine for this virus. Be cautious, but don't be paralyzed. Take necessary precautions. But the flu comparisons really need to stop, because this isn't the flu

2 hours ago, bradW said:

Don't bury your head, yes, but also don't think it's just like the flu. There are vaccines for the flu. There is no vaccine for this virus. Be cautious, but don't be paralyzed. Take necessary precautions. But the flu comparisons really need to stop, because this isn't the flu

Thanks for sharing.

Flew back from Costa Rica last Sunday, the International terminal in Boston was pretty empty. I'm 64 but pretty healthy. i work in med device so we're washing hands, scrubbing in for clean room access constantly and I think that's probably the best thing you can do. Going into customs as an example, you use a touch screen to enter your data, and you use one when you check in at the airport. First thing you do after using a public touch screen is wash your hands or Purel! They did research on some of those screens in a fast food place and found disgusting crap on there. It's little things like that I think that can help you stay healthy, and honestly are good practice anyway. There's a biblical quote that I can't remember exactly, but generally those who try to save their lives will lose them. If you spend all your time worrying about the things that can kill you (and there are many) you run the risk of pissing away the time you do have. Take common sense precautions and enjoy your days, that's my plan.

On 3/6/2020 at 9:31 PM, Captain Tuttle said:

Stop listening to the Dr. E. R. Bloomquists of the world and get your health advice from Dr. J. Frank Parnell. 

This is a media driven hoax by the press, TV and print. People please stop reading the misinformed dolts writing this plander in the papers. Because of this nonsense our economy is being affected, events cancelled and everyone is panicked about it. The CDC  will announce proper procedure when appropriate, until then stop believing the reports written by journalists who seem determined to create havoc. Remember Sika virus, they blew that up also. Live your lives, this too will pass.

20 mins ago, stormy monday said:

First thing you do after using a public touch screen is wash your hands or Purel! They did research on some of those screens in a fast food place and found disgusting crap on there.

Interesting you mention public touch screens. They are so prevalent in society now. Public transportation, certain restaurants, doctor offices and every time you pay with a card your touching a touch pad. Good sense and hygiene could be all you can do. This is every day stuff we just don't think about because we are to busy. Now with fears of becoming exposed or coming into contact with Cov2019 those simple extra measures of washing your hands could be the difference.

7 mins ago, flydog777 said:

Interesting you mention public touch screens. They are so prevalent in society now. Public transportation, certain restaurants, doctor offices and every time you pay with a card your touching a touch pad. Good sense and hygiene could be all you can do. This is every day stuff we just don't think about because we are to busy. Now with fears of becoming exposed or coming into contact with Cov2019 those simple extra measures of washing your hands could be the difference.

I'm an IT Mgr and I have this user who is always complaining that our systems suck and all he has to do at McDonalds is touch this screen. Well, they tested that screen and found all kinds of fecal contamination all over it (special sauce special cheese...ugh). I sent him the research and he never used that example again. But yeah, those things, keyboards, etc. are germ magnets in general.

From what I have read this virus is not especially virulent, it is dangerous to only a small segment of the population. It is the ease of transmission that will cause a problem, it will probably affect a significant percentage of the population. The incubation period for the flu averages 2 days and it takes one day before you can transmit it. The coronavirus has an incubation period of up to 2 weeks and you can be asymptomatic and still transmit it. So it has the potential to spread quickly and to infect a lot of people.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I work in Boston and commute through south station. Even before this outbreak, I have seen folks wearing masks. Maybe more now? I wear one when I want to sit alone and keep others away. :) OK, just kidding but thought has crossed my mind.

However, being a genuine germaphobe, I am certain that most don't know how to wear a mask and put themselves at risk with misuse (constantly adjusting it with their germs hands). I also see people using their sleeves or extending their sleeves to open doors and touch surfaces only to wipe their face on their sleeve later on. Also if you eat out a lot, you are just begging for an immune system booster. If you have ever worked in food service, you likely understand why. Even at the doctors office, I think they are far from sanitary with some of their procedures. I watched a nurse drop a bandaid on the floor and was still going to put it on me. I did not let that happen and was quite pissed at her for even having to mention it. 

Here is some simple advice: follow what all these health officials are telling you with frequently washing your hands (really wash them with hot water and soap) and avoid touching your face, mouth, nose, eyes, or ears (open cuts are also @risk). Having trouble with the last part of not touching vulnerable parts? Imagine the worst thin you have ever had on your hands and pretend that is constant.  

Edited by NHAngler

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, MikeBlue said:

From what I have read this virus is not especially virulent, it is dangerous to only a small segment of the population. It is the ease of transmission that will cause a problem, it will probably affect a significant percentage of the population. The incubation period for the flu averages 2 days and it takes one day before you can transmit it. The coronavirus has an incubation period of up to 2 weeks and you can be asymptomatic and still transmit it. So it has the potential to spread quickly and to infect a lot of people.

I would argue that there is not enough data. Only what is reported and what is; seems to be speculation furry from the media. My hunch is that there may be number in all directions. Some may have it an not know and/or experience mild symptoms. Some need medical treatment. ...and some it can be serious and has been even fatal. However, what stands out in my mind is that the doctor that reported it was not that old and died from it? That or the Chinese government wanted to shut him up mafia style. 

How will we know when it is all over? when the news refocusses on the election. 

Edited by NHAngler

14 hours ago, Tailslap said:

ONE MORE TIME......

The death rate currently appears to be ~2% ONLY BECAUSE THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE TESTED IS SO SMALL, and most of those tested are the ones that are more serious cases and/or at a higher risk. In reality, there are exponentially many more people that have this and in very mild form, as if they think it is nothing but a common cough/cold. If all those people were tested and counted in the number of cases, you would see that the actual fatality rate is MUCH lower than the current 2%.

So what you are doing is kind of comparing the death rate (by any cause) of those in nursing homes to that of the population as a whole............