codfish

Coronavirus and spring fishing

Rate this topic

434 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Will the up coming trade shows be effected?? will it scare people away from crowded areas and drive them to fish more??

"Boston seafood show postponed; coronavirus claims one of industry's most important trade shows"

Edited by codfish

Consider fitting each fish you catch with an N95 mask, in case it sneezes on you. Loop the ends of the mask over the edges of the gill plates.

50 mins ago, Vaporizor said:

You really should not be fishing close enough to someone for that even should be a concern 

What I meant was people will fish more and go out to eat or the movies less because of the crowds. 

South by Southwest, a huge tech and music conference in Austin, TX has cancelled for this year. It was supposed to start next Friday.

1 hour ago, codfish said:

Any word on RISAA show?? My friend who was on the fence about going decided not to go.

I’ll probably skip going this year if it happens.  There’s a bunch of people from a Pawtucket school with possible Corona.  Then in MA the jackasses at a Biogen meeting seem like they may have infected a ton of people. 

My wife this morning says "I would ask you not to go to the RISAA show, my mother has respiratory issues so please don't go" the pressure is on, now I am on the fence.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The media is making this out to be worst than it is. 

I saw a woman in stop and shop last week wearing a mask. Her husband looked embarrassed 

Edited by west tide

I was just on a jet with 240 passengers. Two were wearing masks. 

A week in Florida I saw another two masks. I think the public, in general realizes that the media is trying to whip this into more than it is. The death rate in Asia, where this is most prevalent, is less than 2% while here it "seems to be" in excess of 5%. An average of 10,000 people/year die in The USA from "the flu"; another 100 deaths will not skew the overall percentage above the normal percentage by enough of a percentage point to make an overall difference. Wake me up when the death count in the USA spikes to something above the norm.

This is just a "strain of flu" and a lot of the media hype is for ratings. Granted, the flu, in any form, is quite dangerous in people who are elderly or otherwise have weakened immune systems and that is where the death toll is particularly high. They are at risk and should be particularly cautious about getting "any flu". I used to get sick every winter until about 10 years ago I started getting flu shots every fall and I have not been sick since. Like any flu strain, we will soon have a vaccine for this one, we just have to ride it--this out without (unnecessarily) panicking.

Surely, "sometime in the future" (no one knows when, and it is "when" not "if") there will be a strain of flu or something easily transmittable that is far more deadly and if the death rate was in the double digits, we can all quarantine ourselves and we won't need the media to try and panic us to make us do it. We are not that stupid....