tomkaz

Sardines from a tin, yeah or nay?

Rate this topic

252 posts in this topic

Sardines anyone?

0TZLCCTJQoCWIm2rgeK60A.jpg.b123471b2b2ee6f9666039e6f37374ad.jpg

I have eaten tinned sardines for as long as I can remember. I think it started with my grandfather who was from Greece. When he had a food market in Yonkers, he imported all sort of foods from Italy, Greece, Turkey and beyond, sardines included. I have eaten sardines for the 50+ years since then, usually right out of the tin. 

So I am working from home today because the city inspector came to give final approval to new generator install. Lunch time rolls around and I grab a tin of sardines for a quick snack. My wife, as she always does, called me and my food choice gross and disgusting. She eats no fish so what does she know. But then my 15yo chimes in and I tell them both to go frack themselves as I consume the little silver fishes. 

So, who here eats tinned sardines? 

PCVkp83GQcqe1R1GtZPjFQ.jpg.b6932f25066f7f9c0e11a38b0a30c371.jpg

Love them. Buy them ten tins in a case at the big box store for $10.00.  ONLY in Mustard for me. But I also love smoked oysters and smoked octopus in tins. Them on a Ritz cracker is good eats.  

7 mins ago, Sandflee said:

supposedly good for you, except for the trace amounts of arsenic

Hopefully spaz's can was nothing but arsenic.

3 mins ago, J Powers said:

King Oscars on saltines at least twice a week. Loved them since I was a kid.

My grandfather made sandwiches with them. He ate both the little bristlings as well as the bigger skinned ones. I eat both but prefer the smaller ones. 

1 min ago, DoorGunner said:

Love them. Buy them ten tins in a case at the big box store for $10.00.  ONLY in Mustard for me. But I also love smoked oysters and smoked octopus in tins. Them on a Ritz cracker is good eats.  

Doesn't (almost) everything taste better on a Ritz? I could sit with a sleeve and PB&J and make a meal out of them. Sadly, no real Ritz for me given the gluten and the Glutino brand is a weak substitute. 

1 min ago, aneary said:

I like them, just don’t eat them enough. I’m not sure I have ever seen sardines not in a tin

Fresh sardines at a good fishmonger. Or, at a good Greek restaurant where they will grill them whole.

My mom would make fresh ones, grilled or battered & deep fried, particularly during Lent. She is a nut, and would eat them bones and all. She suck out the eyeballs but not eat the head because the gills tasted like metal. 

4 mins ago, aneary said:

I like them, just don’t eat them enough. I’m not sure I have ever seen sardines not in a tin

Remove watching a Bourdain episode where they were in Jars and he said they were out of this world good