WoodyCT

Advice Needed - Cleaning vintage CCBC surfster

11 posts in this topic

Plug is in very nice shape other than the black crud all over it. It's weird stuff. Some scrapes off with a fingernail. Some just smudges and is sticky. Some has sand stuck in it. Ideas: the factory clear has broken down, or someone put something on it that reacted with the clear coat/paint.

 

Tried these with a toothbrush: Warm water with dish detergent and vinegar. Windex. Goo Gone citrus cleaner. Citrus furniture cleaner/polish. Mineral spirits. WD40. The furniture polish seemed to be the only one that touched it. The surface got slippery but as soon as I put a paper towel to it the pt stuck to it.

 

Before I resort to solvents I'm hoping someone can offer some ideas.

 

Thanks in advance,

W

20200306_121745.jpg

20200306_122059.jpg

20200306_122153.jpg

20200306_122227.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser to gently clean dirt off old plugs - but what you have there is a completely different situation.

 

I'll wager a guess that there was a rubber worm that reacted to a plastic box and this plug was in that box.

What do people use to get that sticky goo off ??

 

I'm curious as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Sudsy- My thoughts exactly! It was fumigated by a melting rubber worm. 

I have made progress using Goo Gone citrus cleaner and tooth brush. GG has to dwell for several minutes and be dabbed off after gentle scrubbing as water won't touch it. Slow going but I'll get there.

20200308_205132.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2020 at 11:47 PM, Sudsy said:

I use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser to gently clean dirt off old plugs - but what you have there is a completely different situation.

 

I'll wager a guess that there was a rubber worm that reacted to a plastic box and this plug was in that box.

What do people use to get that sticky goo off ??

 

I'm curious as well

For the sticky goo.  You can use a hairdryer.  Get it hit and wipe it off.   Be careful with the magic eraser.   I have used it successfully 90% of the time but the other 10% you can wipe the paint right off.  One I did wipe paint off was a pt Jude plug in this exact finish and color.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice plug l have the same hanging in the garage Creek Chub Surfster l think the color called Silver Flash. l also have it in yellow and a redhead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a warning if you add any water type solution to a very old dry lure you run the chance the paint may crack or pop after a period of time.  

Lots of factors going on. Always best to leave a nice vintage lure alone and all natural..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.