better reel shimano sedona vs pflueger president

jimbass

I just want to ask some opinions I want to buy a inexpensive spinning reel (between 60 and 70 dollars) not a cheap one. I decided on between the Shimano Sedona and the Pflueger president in the 500 to 1000 size. My local bait and tackle store is having an opening day trout sale tomorrow. These 2 reels are mentioned on his website. I will use the reel on a daiwa spinmatic ultralight 2 piece rod. Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

DO NOT BUY A PLUEGGER PRESIDENT.   Sorry, the caps didnt come out big enough.   Mine are snag city under the spool.  I bought (2) 1000 series last year.

I got a sahara 1000 over the fall.  So far so much better.  My Local bait shop will sell you a sahara, but says the sedona is just as good.  I bought one for the little guy in the house, a 16 year old wrecking ball.  It has survived his wrath of neglect and weed bed wrestling with treble hooks.

The spool is so tiny on the president 1000.  Sedona / Sahara is close to double the diameter.  So much better on the line....   It seems like a mini verson of the penn long cast.

I checked out the newer red shimano siennas for only $30.  Seems like one nice reel for that price.  Feels like the other guys 50/60 buck reel.  Their package also has a nice one piece 6 footish rod.  But, the package was 2500.  Would of snagged up a 1000 in a heartbeat if they had them too.

Edited by salt deficient

What did you end up getting?  I have 2 Presidents that I can't find one complaint with, yet I still find myself picking up other reels when I go out.  I think it's the wooden handle on the originals that I don't like.  I have dozens of Shimano reels on the other hand, and can't complain about them either, so I think you are safe with either brand. 

On 3/7/2020 at 2:36 AM, KidDkivahh said:

I've been using nothing but Sedonas for the past six years with no complaints . I haven't gone below a 3000 though . I don't do a lot of trout fishing with spinning gear.

Do you have a Sedona C5000? if so how do you like it and what do you have it on. Thanks RC

Edited by richie c

11 hours ago, House said:

I think you are safe with either brand. 

x

My preference is Pfl President > Shim Sedona...

But definitley agree w/ House, you are gtg with either of the two you asked about. 

And at the next lower price point,   

Shim Sienna > Pfl Trion

( though I have and use these plenty, for an UL setup its a little bit heavy/bulky for what it is)

16 hours ago, House said:

What did you end up getting?  I have 2 Presidents that I can't find one complaint with, yet I still find myself picking up other reels when I go out.  I think it's the wooden handle on the originals that I don't like.  I have dozens of Shimano reels on the other hand, and can't complain about them either, so I think you are safe with either brand. 

I did not buy either,because of the current situation I could not make it and my local bait an tackle is closed until the states allows "non essential" business to reopen.I have a Shimano Sedona fd the older model,it still works. I will use this reel until it wears out.Also it made me realize that cleaning and maintaining my reels is a good practice to follow