Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeStaten

PENN SURFMASTER HELP!!!

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Was replacing the drag in my Penn 200 Surfmaster and the little Dog Spring (anti-reverse), popped out of place, for the life of me I can't figure out exactly how to put it back in. Can anyone help? I put a diagram on PowerPoint to show what I mean, could e-mail it to ya if would help. Thanks!!! Mike

I can do it ,I don't know if I can explain it but, one of the screws that go through hold that dog. one end of the dog is against the ratchet and when positoned wright there is a shoulder on the dog and a soulder on the plastic and you just put the spring in between..The spring is just sandwiched in there when its all together so it can't go anywhere. I put the main gear through with the plate upsidedown holding it together halfas#, then with the dog against the ratchet put push that spring in and spin the plate around into position..good luck ..140,,980,,have that too,,easy when you get it.

Much easier to see, than to say!

Put the dog in, see how it only makes sense one way? See which way you want the pressure applied? Look on the other side of the screw, and it will be apparent how the pressure is applied. See the little plastic "shelf"? The spring goes between the dog and the shelf.

I rebuilt my 200 when I was 12, using the exploded diagram as a guide. It REALLY isn't hard (but it's harder without the diagram!).

Flounder

Mike,

I did the samething last winter while cleaning an old Surmaster. I ended up using a big glob of grease to hold the spring in place while I put the other parts together.

This is a link to the schematic for the jigmaster (I think it is similar to the Surfmaster). Tough to see but that is all they had on the penn reels site.

Good Luck

Dave Jigmaster schematic

bud i have a page on penn reel repair.hang on man ill pm it to you or i can send you a pic,i own one too.it sits in the slot with the screw acting as a fulcrum point in the middle to push the end of it in the catch cog.

i give up on pm'ing it werks or it dont here man,here is link. http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/penn.html one more thing,if it has an aluminum spool or a cycolac spool it can be magged to be a more controllable reel to cast as well.i convert cycolac spools here into mag reels,reead the page,let it load up lotta pics if you would like.neodium mags can be had at lee valley tools or a couple other places on the net. http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/latestmag.html

[This message has been edited by grampa old spook (edited 08-15-2001).]

Grampa,

I think you just saved me 40,000 four letter words tonight!!! That little thing is a nightmare, spent over an hour trying to get it right. I owe ya a beer for sure. Thanks again, Mike