bob_G

Check engine light again, 2005 Tacoma

24 posts in this topic

Ok, new cat converter, new sensors, all done July 2019. New exhaust system 2017.  Truck runs great, no check engine light.

Didn't drive it for three weeks. Go out today, dead battery. Call AAA, get a jump. Starts right up, but the check engine light returns! 

Any ideas?:banghd:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bob

Have a 1998 Taco 4wd....added the items you mentioned,, suggest drive the truck for fifty miles to see if CE(the devil 's lite) goes off.   If not, on a NON running engine disconnect one battery cable negative black.  Let sit 10-15 minutes. Reconnect.

Drive as usual to see if lite stays off.!!   Maybe worth a try.

Edited by trapper
add

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Ok, new cat converter, new sensors, all done July 2019. New exhaust system 2017.  Truck runs great, no check engine light.

Didn't drive it for three weeks. Go out today, dead battery. Call AAA, get a jump. Starts right up, but the check engine light returns! 

Go to Autozone,Advance and get code(s) scanned(free). You have to start by getting code(s) scanned to know what you're dealing with. Until then,can't assume anything. There is no reason to believe your PO420 code has returned. Your truck is 15 years old,could be any # of things causing CEL. Post codes here,will help you decipher and point you in direction of resolution.

1 hour ago, trapper said:

Bob

Have a 1998 Taco 4wd....added the items you mentioned,, suggest drive the truck for fifty miles to see if CE(the devil 's lite) goes off.   If not, on a NON running engine disconnect one battery cable negative black.  Let sit 10-15 minutes. Reconnect.

Drive as usual to see if lite stays off.!!   Maybe worth a try.

This will not work on an OBDII vehicle and both the 1998 and 2005 are. Think about the fact that battery was completely dead,same thing as proposing disconnecting battery cable,right? This will have no effect on a stored code.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Some genius decided to use organic based insulation on wiring throughout various models. Little critters in the yard smell protein and reak havoc. Check your wiring in spots animals could have access to. The other thing to check is if it happened during a milage reading that aligns with major service  intervals. That will go away after 50-100 miles. service interval are listed in the book like 80,000-100,000 or 120,000. If you go to autozone and there is no code or a dealer code it is usually this. Maybe your alternator or battery is not up to specs. This is most likely tested by AAA if your a member. I hope it is simple. Toyotas usually don't have problems. Good luck

42 mins ago, flydog777 said:

Some genius decided to use organic based insulation on wiring throughout various models. Little critters in the yard smell protein and reak havoc. Check your wiring in spots animals could have access to.

I hate that this is correct. 

1 min ago, ged said:

I hate that this is correct. 

Your not alone. Six years ago I wanted to back to a taco and everyone was dumping patch jobs that needed new harnesses. You had to be og owner for hope of warranty. I was shopping used. That problem went to other imports too just not as bad as toyo had it. Still worth the headache I think.. Love tacos.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Worked on my vehicle........granted not a scientific/automotive ASE way...been thru all sorts of  reads at Autozone,computer reset by mechanics,   etc.,  etc., owned for 21 years, possible clue is I installed a new battery last year{cleaned MAS, cleaned throttle body, injector cleaner}.   Once..... the battery is charged, check alternator output, new sensors full length, etc. All I can say Taco runs well.......nothing worse for trying before one breaks the wallet out.  light off passed inspection. 

Soybean engine wires.......vehicles and outboards......yep mice smorgasbord !!!

Been aground the world at the equator 12+ times.......300, 000+

Edited by trapper
update

How old is the battery? A car battery life might only be 5 years. If you do not drive the truck alot the battery may never get a full charge. I would charge the battery then get it tested. If the battery test is good you may have some kind of electrical draw on the system. As far as the check engine light that could be due to the low battery voltage. There are many engine electrical systems that can set bogus codes due to low voltage. While you get the battery tested see if they can scan the engine codes to see what was set.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Got to get the code to know what you are dealing with.

Highly likely that it's related to the battery being dead.

How old is the battery?

Get it running for awhile and stop at local parts place to have them check/clear the codes and do a charging system/battery load test.

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

If you had new 02 sensors put in. It doesn't happen often but rare occasion ones a dud. The trouble code would reference something close like emission and not cite the sensor. easy to bench test if the mechanic has the equipment. Or check the one on the header after the y . Some vehicle have mult sensors and if you did cat back it could have been missed.

Thanks for all the advice, here I go all over again. Back to chasing my tail.

As part of my settlement with Toyota, they rebuilt everything. Even replaced my computer, and exhaust system.

Check engine light returned. I replace the cat converter and sensors out of my pocket. Check engine light finally goes away. 

Been perfect for seven months. Dead battery this morning, AAA jumps be.  Does a quick check, alternator's fine.  Start the truck, engine light returns. BTW, battery is 2 years old.

42 mins ago, bob_G said:

Thanks for all the advice, here I go all over again. Back to chasing my tail.

As part of my settlement with Toyota, they rebuilt everything. Even replaced my computer, and exhaust system.

Check engine light returned. I replace the cat converter and sensors out of my pocket. Check engine light finally goes away. 

Been perfect for seven months. Dead battery this morning, AAA jumps be.  Does a quick check, alternator's fine.  Start the truck, engine light returns. BTW, battery is 2 years old.

A drain could be as simple as a bad ground. Batteries can go at any time. One call to AAA and they can voltage test it. Rule it out as you go. I did not know your computer was replaced. That can reboot to an older default and not line up your self diagnostics. A trip to the dealer could tell you in a second by plugging into the odb port. Sometimes it is simple. Did you try putting your rod in the back and taking it fishing?

You need to get the code read before you do anything. It could be something as dumb as a loose gas cap but you’ll never know by asking people online.