btf

DNR is ready to scope possible options for the recreational summer and fall striped bass season.

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

STRIPED BASS — Recreational Summer and Fall Fishery
DNR is  ready to scope possible options for the recreational summer and fall striped bass season. The information is posted on Changes to Fishing Regulations webpage.   Everyone will have the opportunity to complete a Google comment form or send their comments to DNR via email. Forms and comments will need to be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on March 18, 2020.

The department is considering three different management options to reduce total removals of striped bass during the recreational summer and fall fishery. Details of each option is following.

Option #1 is described in the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) Addendum VI to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for Striped Bass.
Option #2 is the conservation equivalency proposal approved by ASMFC.
Option #3 has been added based on public comment so that you may identify an alternative to the closure period considered in Option #2.
OMAR 08.02.15.09, .10, and .12

The department has implemented changes for the spring season and is currently seeking public comment regarding the possible options for the summer and fall striped bass season. Measures in the summer and fall are designed to reduce total mortality. The department is considering three different management options to reduce total removals of striped bass during the recreational summer and fall fishery. All options are presented in the Summary and Compliance Guide.

1. Option #1 is described in the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) Addendum VI to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for Striped Bass.
  2. Option #2 is the conservation equivalency proposal approved by ASMFC.
  3. Option #3 has been added, based on public comment, so that you may identify an alternative to the closure period considered in Option #2.

Thanks for posting Bev,

I will put my comment in for option 1.

I received notice to renew my fishing license, but have not purchased one yet this year....depending on how the above goes, even if i'm out of state, i will probably purchase a VA lic and get my FIN # for MD... :beatin: