slip n slide

fiberglass blanks

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Been looking at getting a short fiberglass ,+/- 8', 10 wt for local pike fishing.

The thing I first notice and am somewhat amazed by is the price of a blank.I see finished glass selling inexpensively while blanks are competitive w/ carbon fiber in price.$275-375 for a glass blank while Echo sells a finished rod for less than $300. Really? What gives?

I can buy fiberglass spinning rod blanks for under $60 all day long...why are the fly blanks so expensive? Is it that mfgrs believe flyfishermen are dupes for good advertising copy? I'm highly skeptical that there is a significant difference between fly rod and spinning rod glass.

I don't like to buy off the shelf,dinky handles,cheap hardware and chromed guides.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Somewhat inexpensive blanks are available in certain sizes from the auction site.  You can also purchase a factory rod and strip it very easily and put a new grip and/or guides on it.  I'm doing that now with a Bass Pro Stage 1 Heat 8' 10wt.  I picked up a 9' 8wt blank last year for around $40 so they can be found.  I suspect it would be perfect for pike unless you are throwing huge flies.

The person I bought the 8wt from lives in CT.  I saw another blank listed a couple of days ago so I know he is still selling.  If I see a listing again I will PM you

Edited by qecfly

Check out the old Fenwick blanks

Great of the price / Glass is cheaper because , not in demand.  
More parabolic but for freshwater  better , I think  more fun ? 
I have both and still like my glass rods. 

Slip I fear that the new rage / excitement for glass fly rods is driving the price.

Must come from younger   guys. Most of us old uns dropped glass PDO when carbon arrived.

Csrbon pre preg is not as expensive as we  May perceive. Cost of parts often has no close relationship to finished product price.

mike

Go to the fiberglass website and ask questions there. I find they have the most knowledgeable members with regard to all types of fly rods but obviously concentrate on glass. Most of the rods they focus on are not the huge glass war clubs in 8 weight and above but the lighter line models and discuss eloquently and honestly the utility of their use in all types of fly fishing venues. Perusing that website is a course in the evolution of postwar plastic laminate fly rods. 

1 hour ago, flyrad10 said:

Go to the fiberglass website and ask questions there. I find they have the most knowledgeable members with regard to all types of fly rods but obviously concentrate on glass. Most of the rods they focus on are not the huge glass war clubs in 8 weight and above but the lighter line models and discuss eloquently and honestly the utility of their use in all types of fly fishing venues. Perusing that website is a course in the evolution of postwar plastic laminate fly rods. 

can you be more specific about the site? just typing in fiberglass website gets me nowhere in my search,found some but have zero interest in the opinion of ppl fishing 4 wts or trout

a boatload of cheap trout-weight blanks to be found but bigger rods are scarce and not cheap

Posted (edited) · Report post

There is lots of history on the fiberglass flyrodders about glass but I am not sure it will help you find an appropriate blank for your budget. A short heavy rod for pike is a specialized application.

My .02 for heavier glass blanks the Fisher blanks are some of the best. I have a 9ft 9/10wt I use as a boat rod and it is very good. There is a seller on ebay that lists regularly that has the remaining stock of the Fisher blank stock. If you want shorter you would have to cut one of these down.

Edited by JEFFSOD

Slip

You could try a “vintage” Fenwick FF909 although in that size it’s heavy  snd 9 ft but you are looking for a blank. Some vintage Harnell and Phillipson rods in 7 or 8 may not be too heavy and Orvis supposedly sells some good glass rods as well but again you are looking for blanks so try FFR something may pop up.

3 hours ago, Skip S said:

Slip,check out the fiberglassflyrodders and the fiberglassmanifesto for lots of good info.

thx Skip,looked into those sites and checked out links on their sites,nothing over 8wt but an 8' 5wt could be awesome for springtime crappie and their tender mouths even if it were a one-trick pony

28 mins ago, flyrad10 said:

Slip

You could try a “vintage” Fenwick FF909 although in that size it’s heavy  snd 9 ft but you are looking for a blank. Some vintage Harnell and Phillipson rods in 7 or 8 may not be too heavy and Orvis supposedly sells some good glass rods as well but again you are looking for blanks so try FFR something may pop up.

thx,had a member contact me about CTS fiberglass blanks in 10wt,probably gonna go that route as I have other blanks I built from them (carbon) that I was very impressed w/

Don't know how these would translate into fly rod weights or if they'd be long enough, but Lamiglas makes some 20-40 lb test 7' medium / heavy power one pc trolling blanks.for less the $100.00.

SF

52 mins ago, Stonefish said:

Don't know how these would translate into fly rod weights or if they'd be long enough, but Lamiglas makes some 20-40 lb test 7' medium / heavy power one pc trolling blanks.for less the $100.00.

SF

I've always played fast and loose w/ blank use and appropriation using fly as spin and vice-versa and an 8-15lb test spinning rod comes out as an 8/9 wt,a 12-17lb test is 10-12 wt...I think that blank might be a bit heavy

Mudhole has a 7 1/2', 12-17lb test rated blank for under $60 I was looking at.I built a spinning rod on the 7' ,8-15lb test version and it cast a 275gr line nicely....stripped the line off,put the reel on the ground and cast it.Super tight casting,not floppy at all.

4 mins ago, slip n slide said:

I've always played fast and loose w/ blank use and appropriation using fly as spin and vice-versa and an 8-15lb test spinning rod comes out as an 8/9 wt,a 12-17lb test is 10-12 wt...I think that blank might be a bit heavy

Mudhole has a 7 1/2', 12-17lb test rated blank for under $60 I was looking at.I built a spinning rod on the 7' ,8-15lb test version and it cast a 275gr line nicely....stripped the line off,put the reel on the ground and cast it.Super tight casting,not floppy at all.

Good to know what line weights equate to fly rod weights.

They do have lighter line rated blanks like 12-30 and 15-30 and some light saltwater 8' Honey blanks.

Good luck on your hunt.

SF