RJ

Herring on the move up the NJ Coast.

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Last friday, I saw 8 to 10 trawlers 1/2 a mile off the beach in Ocean Co towing their nets.  Gannets were in the air above the fleet and skimming the wave tops.

The migration has begun. I'll bet that those herring schools are being hit by Hudson River Striped Bass heading to the mouth of the Hudson River.  My brother told me this morning the Eastern shore of the Hudson River was crowed with large bass moving up River.  The Fish Cops were writing tickets for out of season fishing in the State and County parks as far north as the Bear Mountain Bridge.

Good to hear the baitfish are traveling north. RJ, are regulations in place now in NJ stating no preseason catch and release of striped bass? Does that apply to the NY tidal portions of the Hudson as well? I’m awaiting responses from NYDEC, and several EPOs to further clarify these points. Thanks in advance

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

I'm sure bunker are already moving up the Shrewsbury...…….

They’re up the river. A sea gull was pecking at one on my neighbor’s dock a couple days ago.

13 hours ago, cheech said:

Good to hear the baitfish are traveling north. RJ, are regulations in place now in NJ stating no preseason catch and release of striped bass? Does that apply to the NY tidal portions of the Hudson as well? I’m awaiting responses from NYDEC, and several EPOs to further clarify these points. Thanks in advance

I haven't connected to the Hudson River Fishery Unit in New Paltz this year.  I'll try to get it done this week and get back to you.

NJ opens up on March 1,2020  Hudson should open in April.

On 3/4/2020 at 0:09 AM, RJ said:

Last friday, I saw 8 to 10 trawlers 1/2 a mile off the beach in Ocean Co towing their nets.  Gannets were in the air above the fleet and skimming the wave tops.

The migration has begun. I'll bet that those herring schools are being hit by Hudson River Striped Bass heading to the mouth of the Hudson River.  My brother told me this morning the Eastern shore of the Hudson River was crowed with large bass moving up River.  The Fish Cops were writing tickets for out of season fishing in the State and County parks as far north as the Bear Mountain Bridge.

Ya sure they weren't the beach replenishment boats ? Draggers have to be 2 miles off to fish legally.

On 3/6/2020 at 1:10 AM, alaskansteve said:

Ya sure they weren't the beach replenishment boats ? Draggers have to be 2 miles off to fish legally.

Boats fishing for bait only can be closer. They need to display a large B on the boat.

On 3/7/2020 at 10:59 AM, Mike said:

Boats fishing for bait only can be closer. They need to display a large B on the boat.

thats the bunker seiners i don't think there is a trawl bait fishery.

8 hours ago, alaskansteve said:

thats the bunker seiners i don't think there is a trawl bait fishery.

It's the case here in NJ. Bait only. Can't sell the bunker for reduction

On 3/6/2020 at 1:10 AM, alaskansteve said:

Beach Replenishment boats are much large than the boats I saw.  There are only two replishment boats in service.