titleguy

Traditonal Spey Flies

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Swing fro stripers- who has tried it?  I bought some inexpensive spey hackle with the idea of trying some traditional spey style flies on the swing for stripers.  I am intrigued by this idea and the flies are so cool.

My money's on the Spey flies, particularly in estuaries/current where there are shrimpy things or small baitfish.

It's not a traditional Spey fly, but this Black General Practitioner does very well for me.

BlackGP.jpeg.642baaf083cb8fa736cdc01191211585.jpeg

Steve Culton

Beautiful GP there Steve.  The GP is one of Ken Abrames recommended patterns in "Perfect Fish" when shrimp are abundant in the water, and I remember him teaching us how to tie it at his winter fly tying class at the old Saltwater Edge in downtown Newport in 2001-02.  I use similar patterns for specks and redfish down in NC.  Simple, easy to tie. They work quite well.  Traditional spey flies are a little more difficult, and I haven't quite mastered them yet, though sometimes I can turn out a decent one.  High quality, well matched mallard flanks are a must.  They can be difficult to come by, and usually they're pretty pricey.  Ditto for decent spey hackle feathers.  I've shed many a tear after wasting one on a fly that looks like my 4 yr old grandson tied it. 

35 mins ago, bmac said:

Beautiful GP there Steve.  The GP is one of Ken Abrames recommended patterns in "Perfect Fish" when shrimp are abundant in the water, and I remember him teaching us how to tie it at his winter fly tying class at the old Saltwater Edge in downtown Newport in 2001-02.  I use similar patterns for specks and redfish down in NC.  Simple, easy to tie. They work quite well.  Traditional spey flies are a little more difficult, and I haven't quite mastered them yet, though sometimes I can turn out a decent one.  High quality, well matched mallard flanks are a must.  They can be difficult to come by, and usually they're pretty pricey.  Ditto for decent spey hackle feathers.  I've shed many a tear after wasting one on a fly that looks like my 4 yr old grandson tied it. 

BMAC- apt description of how my spey flies look right now.

23 hours ago, The Fisherman said:

My money's on the Spey flies, particularly in estuaries/current where there are shrimpy things or small baitfish.

It's not a traditional Spey fly, but this Black General Practitioner does very well for me.

BlackGP.jpeg.642baaf083cb8fa736cdc01191211585.jpeg

Steve Culton

Beautiful. For quite a few friends I was fishing salmon with and me, the GP tied in its original colors, reddish-orangish (the Esmond Drury pattern) was our go-to fly, and very successful at that, when the Gaspé rivers were in spate and colored. We didn't really fish them in normal conditions. A friend of mine tied a GP in olive-green colors figuring that these were more appropriate colors for the shrimps (prawns) this pattern was designed to represent. He had no success with this one for salmon but I suspect it would work for stripers.

And here's one I tied many many years ago, generally (but not as elaborate) as the original Drury pattern. I think I tied it as suggested by Poul Jorgensen in his book Salmon Flies (can't check as I gave it away a few years back). 20200304_120045.jpg.5d5d32a70ef4f78714c3b80e87745078.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, titleguy said:

BMAC- apt description of how my spey flies look right now.

Well with practice, you may get to this (picture taken from the superb 1996 Bates book (Fishing Atlantic Salmon- from left to right, the Carron, Lady Caroline and Grey Heron).20200304_130936.jpg.0d00a27d13fe235ee4d71ef6b4c04586.jpgKidding aside, they are not that tough to tie (perhaps not to this level as they were tied by master flytyers, including Syd Glasso, but to a satisfactory level) but, as BMAC pointed out you need the right materials. I tied quite a few spey flies way back but I was fortunate as I had real heron (I find that no substitute sold for it really works as well) and all the mallard feathers I needed as I was a duck hunter (that's your best source for all the bronze and regular flank feathers you need). And if your problem  is mainly the strip-feather wing, why don't you tie a hair wing? It will work as well if you don't mind not being traditional.

And I'm quite sure those spey flies will be productive for stripers, more so if you fish them the way Steve C. likes to fish his flatwings.    

Edited by Suave
Typo

Posted (edited) · Report post

Those flies are breathtaking. Yowza!

I appreciate all the love, too. Here's another view of the same fly. I generally fish much simpler shrimp patterns, but there is something inherently satisfying about catching a fish on a proper GP. I'm looking forward to hearing about titleguy's experiences.

GP2.jpeg

Steve Culton

Edited by The Fisherman

Suave- those are gorgeous.  That's what I am aspiring to.  Steve- that GP looks great as well.  In 2018, I had great success swinging flies earlier in the season, particularly my striper bugger and my striper intruder.  With my renewed love of tying, I thought this would be a good outlet and fun tactic to try.

On 04/03/2020 at 5:07 PM, titleguy said:

Suave- those are gorgeous.  That's what I am aspiring to.  Steve- that GP looks great as well.  In 2018, I had great success swinging flies earlier in the season, particularly my striper bugger and my striper intruder.  With my renewed love of tying, I thought this would be a good outlet and fun tactic to try.

Just checking (we have lots of time to do that these days!): did you manage to tie a Spey fly to your satisfaction? 

Just in case your interest has flagged, maybe this picture (from that artful book "Fishing Atlantic Salmon -The Flies and the Patterns by Bates Jr. and Bates Richards), a sbs to tie a Lady Caroline, will rekindle it.20200404_072709(0).jpg.fce6ca1514b01a065cff3df398eecaf8.jpg

Just thought I’d add this for those interested in spey flies.

Though not all about spey flies, there is some pretty cool history of Pacific Northwest fly fishing and flies at www.pnwmff (dot) org 

They also have IG account museumflyfish

SF