blue crab

conventional surf reel recommendations

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

56 mins ago, blue crab said:

looking for recommendations on conventional surf reels to pair up with a 12 ft heavy duty rod. I am new to the forum,thanks in advance.

There might be a thread or two here on sol about this. When I joined in 2010 or 2011, the Penn 525 was very popular. I bought one, and I sold it because it was hard to control. Nowadays, people are talking up the fathom.

You can get a Daiwa Slosh 30 for about $125, used maybe $50. I like these reels because they are a good value and rugged.

If you need a levelwind, nothing beats an ABU 7000, except the Omoto and Akios clones. I would by the clones before a Chinese made 7000. They are not the same as the old Abu 7000. However, Akios  and Omoto from Taiwan are nearly identical to the old Abu 7000.

I like levelwinds, but someone here will tell me I’m wrong, and I should just learn to cast a Penn Fathom properly. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

X 2 on  the Penn Fathom star drag reel, slosh 30.I use a Penn 990 on my 12' heaver. She's a big reel, I'm going to replace her with a Penn Fathom 15 or more likely the 25N. I do not use  a levelwind ,I only use mono. Welcome to the forum. :howdy:

Edited by hunter123

I'd second the clones and the abu 7000,can't go wrong either way.

my Chinese 7000-c3works perfectly smooth and not a single problem in 4 seasons.

the Omoto chief series I give 2 thumbs up for,they are quite nice to fish with.

DonB could steer you in the right direction for an Omoto.

HH

5e5d91ed226a8_HHPlugWerxLDP886.JPG.b3734b5f20502553afe110949c683365.JPG

HH, Thank you for the nice comments.

blue crab, I am not sure as to your use of the 12 ft rod.

The Omoto 7000 CS is often used by people going for large catfish.

Omoto 7000 CSM (level wind with mag control) - bait casting or large plugs.

Omoto 7000 CTM (non level wind with mag control) - surf casting

The above reels come with 4 pin centrifugal brakes and 5.5:1 gear ratio.

The Omoto displayed by HH is a purple Omoto Chief 7000 CSM.

This model is also available in orange side plates and silver spool, green and silver, red and silver.

The CS model is available in black and silver, orange and silver, purple and purple.

The CTM model is available in red and silver, green and silver, blue and silver, purple and silver, orange and silver, black and titanium color.

The above colors are available (but not listed) from the website.

Hi blue crab,

The website is easy to find by doing a google search on Omoto Chief Schematics or Omoto Repair Parts.

The mag control of the 7000CTM is excellent. The magnet tray comes with 4 magnets installed. The centrifugal brakes come with 4 blocks installed. I usually fish with either 1 or 2 brake blocks and all 4 magnets. On one occurrence there was a strong onshore wind. The type of wind that you add on a slightly larger sinker, aim low, and hit the cast with everything you have. Under these conditions, I had to use my thumb to add some additional control over the spool. Under the given conditions, I considered the braking systems to be adequate. After not catching any fish and in the process of leaving, I heard a weather broadcast reporting 42mph onshore winds at the location where I was fishing. That makes the braking systems to be better than adequate. Excellent.

Omoto rates the line capacity for 20 lb line to be 360 meters (394 yards). Berkley BG is larger in diameter, which results in a lesser spool capacity than 394 yards.  I have settled on using 150 yards of 30# braid backing and a 25# Prospec top shot. You will need to match your conditions and structure.

Hope this helps,

Don

Depends on your target species and experience with casting conventionals. Whatever you choose, I'd suggest getting one with an adjustable magnet control. Nothing beats being able to fine tune the reel and make adjustments by turning a knob rather than opening up the reel to add or remove brake blocks.

We all have different preferences and I lean toward the Avet MCs.  My oldest ones are going on 8 years and they've never needed more than a few dabs of grease on the internals every couple years.  Lots of big fish and never skipped a beat.  SX MC for most coastal species or MX MC for the large toothy variety.

Akios and the like reels are great casters but I never liked the poor torque and low retrieve rate. Always seemed to take forever reeling in after a long cast.  That said they're reel pretty and cast well.

Another vote for the Fathom star drag, 12 for braid, 15 for mono. Nicest reel I've ever touched

Whoa!  A thread I can post in!

When I want to cast far I use a Penn fathom 15, an Abu 7500, or an akios 666W.  When I want to cast less far I'll pull out the Diawas or a Penn squall.  That never happens though :wee:

Distance is not everything, but if you're fishing on AI and you want to catch big reds then distance is a mighty nice thing to have in the tool kit.  I hear there may be something new out there....

If you like level winds then you like level winds.  Personally, I don't want my shock knot going through that and the added friction can only shorten the cast.

I use the seigler SM with a 12’ rod, cast easy, and nice. I take it to the OC inlet at times. 
the penn fathom is another choice if budget is a concern.

Thanks for all the input guys.I will be looking at the Penn Fathom 15 a little closer.Now I need to decide on mono or braided line and what pd test. The outfit will be used on AI and OBX. Open to suggestions.

Edited by blue crab
more info

17lb mono (I use suffix tritamium or Berkeley prospec chrome) if planning on fishing to point or other tight quarters.  Mono also much forgiving than braid on casting reels and cheaper to replace.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:34 AM, steve maranto said:

Akios and the like reels are great casters but I never liked the poor torque and low retrieve rate. Always seemed to take forever reeling in after a long cast.  That said they're reel pretty and cast well.

I experienced those issues caused by the 4.3:1 gear ratio of the Akios 757. When retrieving your line on a slow sloping beach, the lead would grab bottom and sometimes coral. To bring in line you had to reel in as fast as possible while quickly walking backwards. With the Omoto Chief 7000 (5.5:1 gears standard), I no longer have to walk backwards. Akios now offers the 757 with 5.5:1 gears.