Livefreeordie

You been out yet?

Rate this topic

160 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2020 at 0:32 PM, Livefreeordie said:

Yeah, I spent about 2hrs at a popular spot, and jigged up 3 18" fish. I tried every lure I had and I think the only thing that worked was being lucky enough to get the jig right next to the fish's mouth. The water was murky and mildly weedy, nobody was connecting regularly. The wind put a healthy bow in the line, requiring a heavier jig than I usually catch with, there

 

Also, all sorts of people trespassing/walking on the private road, too lazy to take the path. IDK if they don't know, or just want the home owner's to get the spot shut down. If you're reading this, why not consider staying off the private property? It takes an extra 2 minutes (at the most) to stay on the muddy path. If it means you get your fancy waders dirty, or have to exert some energy, consider it a good way to toughen up, so you'll have enough energy for powerful hooksets on those 18" fish, and can maybe even learn to unhook such behemoths without calling a friend over for help. Seriously, if you're such an expert that you've researched and purchased Simm's Waders and ZBass  reels, then you probably already know access is a problem. 

Was across the river today and watched a fly guy take more than 5 minutes to release a sub 15 inch fish. Had to wait while his buddy walked up steam to get a picture of the “trophy” before letting it go. 
SMH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caught a fish last monday 24 inch striper on a bunker chunk the wind was crazy. LOL at the people taking 5 minutes to release fish I usually release a fish within 30 seconds of it being out the water unless I got a personal best I will take a picture then put it back. Sad that a schoolie has become a trophy XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been out in the sound 5 times. Fished from the boat and caught fish 3 times. Fish size has been better than average... above 20" with really big fish in the mix. Have been fly fishing only and luckily that has been working well.

Fish are definitely here and very active. I think the lack of activity all around the sound is benefitting nature and the striper run.

From shore it has been a lot busier everywhere. A few spots on freshwater have been a war zone no only because of fisherman but also with dogs, mtbikers and families trying to go out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, marchese12 said:

I have been out in the sound 5 times. Fished from the boat and caught fish 3 times. Fish size has been better than average... above 20" with really big fish in the mix. Have been fly fishing only and luckily that has been working well.

Fish are definitely here and very active. I think the lack of activity all around the sound is benefitting nature and the striper run.

From shore it has been a lot busier everywhere. A few spots on freshwater have been a war zone no only because of fisherman but also with dogs, mtbikers and families trying to go out.

You think they are out around Fishers Island yet? Or are they still hugging the coast near river mouths? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ajefferslyon said:

You think they are out around Fishers Island yet? Or are they still hugging the coast near river mouths? 

I don't think they are there if those fish are migrating. My best guess is those fish I am catching are holdovers that left the deeper water to look for food in the warmer estuaries, shallow bays and rivers. I have not fished more than 1 a mile from my marina, no deeper than 12 feet and no more than a 100 yards from land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marchese12 said:

I don't think they are there if those fish are migrating. My best guess is those fish I am catching are holdovers that left the deeper water to look for food in the warmer estuaries, shallow bays and rivers. I have not fished more than 1 a mile from my marina, no deeper than 12 feet and no more than a 100 yards from land.

Thank you for the reply!  Exactly what I was thinking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dave T. said:

Was across the river today and watched a fly guy take more than 5 minutes to release a sub 15 inch fish. Had to wait while his buddy walked up steam to get a picture of the “trophy” before letting it go. 
SMH

I used to fish with a guy like that - needs a pic of every thing that gets hooked. Doesn’t mind the flash going off at night. Probably posts pics of his dinner plate, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 fish last night, very small. Spot hopping skinny water. Had one quality 28+ holdover grab my lure and missed the hook by some Devine act, couldn’t get him to swing again. Had another fish at a different spot swing and miss at the same lure, grabbed the fly rod and he straight up rejected that as well (Came up, looked at it, cold shoulder). the fish are around, but seems like they’ve been second thinking their dinner choices recently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been out but not for any stripes yet, maybe tonight, the tide is swinging around to where I like it at the limited spots I've got left to fish. Drove around yesterday and they are caution taping off some hot spots.

 

 

IMG_5993.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, nateD said:

I've been out but not for any stripes yet, maybe tonight, the tide is swinging around to where I like it at the limited spots I've got left to fish. Drove around yesterday and they are caution taping off some hot spots.

 

 

IMG_5993.JPG

On green crab?  Worm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.