Rate this topic

149 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2020 at 0:11 AM, Sir Defyable said:

You should really stop throwing that 9" doc it's just not a good lure :laugh:

32BD4935-8615-4684-9C21-0C0FE37A7D6B.jpeg

Yeah, I can see that lure doesn't work

40 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

Yeah, I can see that lure doesn't work

Totally true- it has only produced half a dozen fish above slot size in the last week. 40+ lb fish just aren't worth targeting :p

3 hours ago, Jubert93 said:

I forgot to post this here but people enjoyed it on FB so I'll share with you CT folks. 

Started my striper journey this year. (Not new to fishing though)

Here is my video.

Not trying to be a dick but not going to make too many friends around here with a first year striper fishing youtube channel with locations that we can recognize for the whole world to see. Not to mention the loose drag and shake and bake treatment. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, Nucleo85 said:

Not trying to be a dick but not going to make too many friends around here with a first year striper fishing youtube channel with locations that we can recognize for the whole world to see. Not to mention the loose drag and shake and bake treatment. 

I don't have a YouTube channel. It just the only way I could share the video (I have 2 videos on YouTube one of which has nothing to do with fishing). Not trying to promote anything.

What do you mean by shake and bake treatment?

I'll gladly take it down though if anyone PMs me to. I don't want to spot burn and didn't think the video gave away too much information. I could be wrong though??

Edited by Jubert93

On 6/19/2020 at 0:11 AM, Sir Defyable said:

You should really stop throwing that 9" doc it's just not a good lure :laugh:

32BD4935-8615-4684-9C21-0C0FE37A7D6B.jpeg

Been doing well with the doc myself but I am not sure that’s the best way to be handling a fish that needs to be released

51 mins ago, Dave T. said:

Been doing well with the doc myself but I am not sure that’s the best way to be handling a fish that needs to be released

I’m glad you pointed that out and I couldn’t agree more. The hook managed to go through the lip around and back in again, we spent about 30 seconds at a time trying to unhook the poor girl in between 10 minutes reviving in the water. In the picture you can see I detached the TA clip to allow us to put her back in the water for a bit while we worked on unhooking, I had to grab the gill plate being careful of the rakers to get a better grip on her mouth.

In the end she swam away very strong, but I was petrified that she wouldn’t 

10 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

I’m glad you pointed that out and I couldn’t agree more. The hook managed to go through the lip around and back in again, we spent about 30 seconds at a time trying to unhook the poor girl in between 10 minutes reviving in the water. In the picture you can see I detached the TA clip to allow us to put her back in the water for a bit while we worked on unhooking, I had to grab the gill plate being careful of the rakers to get a better grip on her mouth.

In the end she swam away very strong, but I was petrified that she wouldn’t 

Thank you for adding the context and doing your best to safely release her. 

7 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Why not just snip the hook off after the first few mins?

Pretty tough hooks, 5x Owner ST-76. I have side cutters on my pliers but there's no chance to cut these. We did crush the barb as much as possible to help get the hook out however. I don't think I've ever hooked a fish like that before, and hopefully it's the last time. I almost switched to dual singles after but honestly that wouldn't have helped much since the point made it through twice

1 hour ago, Sir Defyable said:

Pretty tough hooks, 5x Owner ST-76. I have side cutters on my pliers but there's no chance to cut these. We did crush the barb as much as possible to help get the hook out however. I don't think I've ever hooked a fish like that before, and hopefully it's the last time. I almost switched to dual singles after but honestly that wouldn't have helped much since the point made it through twice

I found a set of 8in mini bolt cutters on ebay. Under 20$  i got them with the notion of cuttin hooks. Wether from fish, fowl or animal.     I've been cuttin all sorts of hooks with them. Just to see how they do.  And I'm pretty happy. 

I hooked myself about 20years ago with a big ol stainless treble while unhooking a blue.  Complete penetration of my thumb from the pad up thru the nail.   One of those times I was shined on from above.  I borrowed a set of lineman pliers for that day from my uncle.  Cut the tip of the hook off and backed it out. 

Carried atleast a set of dykes since!  

Edited by PSegnatelli

4 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I found a set of 8in mini bolt cutters on ebay. Under 20$  i got them with the notion of cuttin hooks. Wether from fish, fowl or animal.     I've been cuttin all sorts of hooks with them. Just to see how they do.  And I'm pretty happy. 

I hooked myself about 20years ago with a big ol stainless treble while unhooking a blue.  Complete penetration of my thumb from the pad up thru the nail.   One of those times I was shined on from above.  I borrowed a set of lineman pliers for that day from my uncle.  Cut the tip of the hook off and backed it out. 

Carried atleast a set of dykes since!  

I did have a bass thrash and swung the plug around into my hand the other night. Got the 7/0 single hook buried up to the barb right on top of my hand but luckily not further than that. It is bound to happen when unhooking fish with big hooks so having cutters handy is very good advice. 

I got the damage in a video I took while turning on my camera

FBC25B86-7E93-4F73-AEAF-8D1707D658C6.jpeg

Went out yesterday evening after the thunderstorm dissipated and dropped  a slob on the retrieve in 12’ of water and had one even bigger miss the lure a few casts later. Then the new resident seal, been there now for a week and a half, showed up and shut everything down for an hour or so. Marked some fish on the finder right after a breathtaking sunset and ended the day with a couple a good ones. 

12 hours ago, Accebere said:

Went out yesterday evening after the thunderstorm dissipated and dropped  a slob on the retrieve in 12’ of water and had one even bigger miss the lure a few casts later. Then the new resident seal, been there now for a week and a half, showed up and shut everything down for an hour or so. Marked some fish on the finder right after a breathtaking sunset and ended the day with a couple a good ones. 

Ahh the resident seal. Now I know exactly where you've been fishing. Never seen one there before at least in those waters, but I heard a few people talking about it already.

Hopefully the bass stick around in that rip a bit longer, definitely still bait there