Livefreeordie

You been out yet?

Rate this topic

149 posts in this topic

Any of you been out yet?

I have, just because I try to catch one per month and/or test new lures I build. What I've noticed is that the fish have generally been in their winter hideouts, but also in places I find them early winter and spring. I assume this is because of the warmer than usual winter. Anyhow, last Wednesday night, I found stripers in a current, set up like they would for preying on baitfish, not just meandering around.  I think this is unusual for February, but I'm just one guy who observes what he sees on 1 or 2x/week outings.

1) Have you been out yet, and/or when do you generally start?

2) If you've been out for stripers, what did you notice?

Asking that if anybody replies, do not be spot specific. A couple of places already have too many people, too little respect for the fishes. Personally, I learned at one of those places, applied it to other rivers, and learned that probably any river in CT that's big/deep enough, has a few 'holdovers'. If you're willing to cast 1000x for one fish. I also have dreams of catching another salmon, like I did 1x by mistake, despite having no clue how. Oh....I also saw a bald eagle at a place I have never seen it before March 15th before, in mid February. 

3) I'll be able to gauge your level of cabin fever by how verbally abusive your reply is. Over in the Main, there was an argument about a guy's weight, but so far, no fights about if a bass will tail-slap or not. We're CT! We're better than that!

Holla

Haven't been out for anything real this year other then messing around and catching some Creek chubs and shiners  back when the cabin fever really started to set in 

Might try to take a trip out this weekend 

I had been out once already last weekend, but not for long. Nothing caught or no serious hits but I had a strong feeling I wasn’t alone with a couple weird taps here and there. Going to downsize and check back tomorrow night before the rain, been busy

not a main tidal rivers. 

I have gone about 6x since January 1st, down to 'a' tidal river where we usually will get a couple-few on an outing..  NADA!  We no gots!  Keep trying though..  

And yes, I am kinda surprised to see how many guys are already out.   Usually 1-2 others.  This year it has been like 6-10 others lol.  

Oh the internet/facebook...

4 hours ago, MassMino said:

Oh the internet/facebook...

WE are the internet/facebook......best to start a disinformation campaign NOW.

ALL THE FISH IN NEW HAVEN ARE UP THE MILL RIVER BEHIND THE HIGH SCHOOL, but don't tell anybody.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:08 PM, Livefreeordie said:

Biscuit! I'll holla in a week or 2. I know where we can get on 'em. And seriously...we gotta get some LMB this year, too

I'll be doing more of the sweet water thing this year. I just have to register my pond hopper and get some lights on it so do some night fishing for big bass.

On 3/3/2020 at 11:06 AM, Livefreeordie said:

WE are the internet/facebook......best to start a disinformation campaign NOW.

ALL THE FISH IN NEW HAVEN ARE UP THE MILL RIVER BEHIND THE HIGH SCHOOL, but don't tell anybody.

Not anymore,

They all moved up the creek, around 7-11 going down towards Grand Stage Cinema Complex.

I'm on the 40#s! Right below Sleeping Giant in the Mill River! Just pull off Whitney, push the fly guys out of the way, and fling a pink pikie (imitates herring). Make sure you have  60# (minimum) moss green braid and 6x strong VMCs. Just twitch once, and HOLD ON!!! #40#severycast.

Hit a few local haunts this am, damn the water is cold. No takers but it was nice to get out and see the sun come up.