UncleJohn

March 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

516 posts in this topic

23 mins ago, bbfish said:

Gun to my head that’s a 35.  Slightly smaller if you’re a big dude or slightly heavier if your on the small side. 

I’m 182lbs if that helps

2 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

MoCo Out Back Last night  7:00 Pm to 10:00 PM     Wind was blowing east at 5 to 10 Kt    It was pretty cold and I was glad that I brought my gloves with me.   Water was murky but fishable.   I started out with a Keitech Paddle tail on a .25 oz jig but was only pulling up a lot of weeds.  The water was pretty weedy last night.  I switched over to a small 1 oz Magic Swimmer that I had changed out the front treble and put a flag on the tail.   Still just fishing up more more weeds.    Switched over to black back Youzuri Hydro Minnow but not having much luck there either.   I put on my Purple Sp Minnow and after a few minutes I got a hit. Felt really small but I was really surprised when I reeled up a bunker with my teaser completely in the Bunkers mouth.  I don't know maybe it was some kind of Shad, but it looked like a bunker to me.     After catching the Bunker, I noticed that the wind had died down and all of a sudden I did not feel cold.   15 minutes later I hooked up again, and it felt like a better fish.   I got my first Striper of the spring and finally got the skunk off my back, It was really little maybe 12 inches,   That Striper was also on my teaser.  The wind got really light after that and I started to see bunker tail slapping all around me.   The place was loaded with Bunker, I ca see them tailslapping the surface and there were some bigger splashes mixed in.   I switched over to a purple Hydro Minnow and then a RM Smith Metal Lip and then to a yellow Mag Minnow.    The bunker stayed around for about an hour and a half but I was not able to get another bite.   

Bunker1.jpg

Bunker2.jpg

Striper1.jpg

If you’re surrounded by bunker this time of year clip a big, like 2.5-4 oz, metal lip on and don’t take it off until something big takes it.  

“walking, running, operating a wheelchair, or engaging in outdoor activities with immediate family members, caretakers, household members, or romantic partners while following best social distancing practices with other individuals, including staying six feet apart”

This is exactly what is in the Governor’s executive order that says what you are allowed to do.  Fishing is an outdoor activity so I would say everyone should be fine if you keep 6 feet apart.  

57 mins ago, bbfish said:

If you’re surrounded by bunker this time of year clip a big, like 2.5-4 oz, metal lip on and don’t take it off until something big takes it.  

Thanks, I will give that a try.   I've got a couple nice big Metal Lips and a nice new 3.5 oz Bunker Glider that should fit the bill ...

I doubt it would be a popular opinion but I think the NJ Reports Thread should be shut down until the shelter in place is over.  The tackle shops are closed so the only real time fishing reports are coming from online sources and cellphones.  

I think a lot of folks here have a pretty good idea where guys spend their time from prior reports, encounters on the beach, etc. Nothing is going to shut a spot down quicker than a bunch of pressure on a spot once the reports start ramping over the next several weeks. I dont think the locals, towns or authorities are going to stand for it and at least for now they will have a good reason to totally shut it down for everybody :read:. Just a thought.

53 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Thanks, I will give that a try.   I've got a couple nice big Metal Lips and a nice new 3.5 oz Bunker Glider that should fit the bill ...

3.5 oz glider might be tough in our back bay because its so shallow, lots of crap to snag on, but that obviously changes if its some sort of buoyant slow sink type of deal.  Id go with something that can be swam on top and perhaps dives to 2-4 feet.  

1 hour ago, SIC34 said:

I doubt it would be a popular opinion but I think the NJ Reports Thread should be shut down until the shelter in place is over.  The tackle shops are closed so the only real time fishing reports are coming from online sources and cellphones.  

I think a lot of folks here have a pretty good idea where guys spend their time from prior reports, encounters on the beach, etc. Nothing is going to shut a spot down quicker than a bunch of pressure on a spot once the reports start ramping over the next several weeks. I dont think the locals, towns or authorities are going to stand for it and at least for now they will have a good reason to totally shut it down for everybody :read:. Just a thought.

I am 100% in agreement on this because people should be staying home

2 hours ago, SIC34 said:

Nice to hear from you @#$#% , it hurts to say this because I enjoy reading the reports thread, but yes you have a point which we should all consider. I have to say though, the SOL folks that have been getting into fish have been discreet about it, so its not as concerning for me. Although, what's the point of having a reports thread if its all skunk reports like mine :howdy:

6 mins ago, adoboboy said:

Nice to hear from you @#$#% , it hurts to say this because I enjoy reading the reports thread, but yes you have a point which we should all consider. I have to say though, the SOL folks that have been getting into fish have been discreet about it, so its not as concerning for me. Although, what's the point of having a reports thread if its all skunk reports like mine :howdy:

During these troubling times, where there is little that is consistent, your skunk reports gives us a sense of normalcy! If you actually catch something, our stress level will go up! 

5 mins ago, nam1969 said:

During these troubling times, where there is little that is consistent, your skunk reports gives us a sense of normalcy! If you actually catch something, our stress level will go up! 

Fine, can't say no to Nam......Went out to fish a couple nights ago, went to a popular bay spot and there were a bunch of bait fishermen who did really well, mostly shorts, but did see one keeper caught. Fished the end of the incoming to the first few hours of the outgoing, wind was blowing from the W harder than I expected, so it was hard to cast with light gear. Waded out to get my lure a little further, then BAM, slipped on the mud flats and fell face first and drank a little bit of bayshore water. Thankfully the wind was warm, but the water was quite cold. Walked back to shore to change my lure coz I didn't want to use my headlamp (pretty sure the bass were there after a few bumps), slipped on the mud again and fell on my back, gum danggit what a friggin night. I really thought it was going to be a good night, given that 3 birds pooped on my windshield on the way. Skunk continues for consistency and not to stress out Nam.

4 hours ago, bbfish said:

3.5 oz glider might be tough in our back bay because its so shallow, lots of crap to snag on, but that obviously changes if its some sort of buoyant slow sink type of deal.  Id go with something that can be swam on top and perhaps dives to 2-4 feet.  

Yea, you are right about the Glider.   Probably would just get it snagged in the bay   I just cant wait to take it out for a swim.    I got a big Gibbs Danny and a Jointed Danny that should fit the bill nicely

9 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Nice one    Did you measure the length ? 

it was the biggest....the fatest......the best striper ever caught in the world.........no one will ever catch one bigger.....