IwantToCatchaFatFish

Slow oscillating reel for cape cod canal

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Hi boyos I'm 24 year old 1 year into fishing I just got a new setup got my okuma Coronado CDX60 and okuma longtitude 10 footer graphite I'm planning on hitting the canal for the first time this summer and I'm prepping mentally and physically already and it's only March. So I noticed my reel says slow oscillating and I'm concerned that will be bad for the current in the canal do I need to get a new reel I'm 3500$ in debt with no job but I will if I have to! Please let me know I'm coming into the canal like a storm and practicing good catch and release of I see anybody taking over the limit of stripers we're throwing hands on the spot  not playing!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, IwantToCatchaFatFish said:

Hi boyos I'm 24 year old 1 year into fishing I just got a new setup got my okuma Coronado CDX60 and okuma longtitude 10 footer graphite I'm planning on hitting the canal for the first time this summer and I'm prepping mentally and physically already and it's only March. So I noticed my reel says slow oscillating and I'm concerned that will be bad for the current in the canal do I need to get a new reel I'm 3500$ in debt with no job but I will if I have to! Please let me know I'm coming into the canal like a storm and practicing good catch and release of I see anybody taking over the limit of stripers we're throwing hands on the spot  not playing!!

Get a job and pay off you debt first. Then worry about fishing the canal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slow oscillation has nothing to do with line retreive speed. It means the spool oscillates up and down at a slower pace on the shaft to improve line lay on the reel. It is normally a feature of large spooled long cast reels which just so happen to have a history of being popular at the canal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry about it. That's a pretty rugged reel that picks up line at a decent rate. Keep it out of the water and don't worry about it until/if it starts making rumbly/rattly noises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Repped you guys!!!! I'm so excited for the summer boyos can't wait to see you guys at the canal and I'm in school and I can't balance school and work because I am a complete idiot and even more of an idiot for choosing a STEM degree to study so guess what I'm living off of debt like a dumbass hopefully I don't fail out and I can get a good job and buy a Stella reel 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, IwantToCatchaFatFish said:

 24 year old...I'm 3500$ in debt...no job

Dude, seriously, get a job. You're paying monthly interest on that debt. If you keep making minimum payments, the interest will turn that $3500 into $7000 or more by the time you pay it off. The interest you'll pay on that debt, over time, would buy some nice fishing gear for the surf & canal.  $3500 isn't that much money, unles you don't don't have a job, and you don't knock down the balance. Credit isn't money. It's a bill, that can escalate and drag you down for a long time if you don't pay it off.

Edited by zak-striper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Dude, seriously, get a job. You're paying monthly interest on that debt. If you keep making minimum payments, the interest will turn that $3500 into $7000 or more by the time you pay it off. The interest you'll pay on that debt, over time, would buy some nice fishing gear for the surf & canal.  $3500 isn't that much money, unles you don't don't have a job, and you don't knock down the balance. Credit isn't money. It's a bill, that can escalate and drag you down for a long time if you don't pay it off.

yea you're right I just gotta finish this semester then work a lot this summer to try to get it down to like 1k at least because that will be manageable but this 3500 is stressing me out big time so I'm trying to not think about it until the semester ends then I'll start putting like 80 percent of every paycheck towards it this summer I'm gonna keep paying the minimum every month until summer using last year's tax returns / student loan returns 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IwantToCatchaFatFish said:

save up for a Stella this summer !

You don't need a Stella. Get a Saragosa 8000 or 10000. It's a fraction of the cost and is a fantastic reel for the canal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gray gables said:

Get a job and pay off you debt first. Then worry about fishing the canal. 

X2..............Fishing is relaxation after work.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zak-striper said:

You don't need a Stella. Get a Saragosa 8000 or 10000. It's a fraction of the cost and is a fantastic reel for the canal.

Should I get the saragosa after college or just buy it now I do t care about debt I LOVE TO FISH or will my Coronado get the job done for now??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IwantToCatchaFatFish said:

Hi boyos I'm 24 year old 1 year into fishing I just got a new setup got my okuma Coronado CDX60 and okuma longtitude 10 footer graphite I'm planning on hitting the canal for the first time this summer and I'm prepping mentally and physically already and it's only March. So I noticed my reel says slow oscillating and I'm concerned that will be bad for the current in the canal do I need to get a new reel I'm 3500$ in debt with no job but I will if I have to! Please let me know I'm coming into the canal like a storm and practicing good catch and release of I see anybody taking over the limit of stripers we're throwing hands on the spot  not playing!!

Just so you know, there are Native Americans that can take fish that are outside of the slot limit, and if you try to throw hands with the guy I am thinking of you will likely get your azz handed to you :) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.