Birdsnester

Akios Nitron F-15, Whatcha Think?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to fish with or cast the new Akios Nitron F-15 surf reel and what your thoughts were?  Well, I have and so far it's fantastic.  The areas that I fish are closed for the season so I just took it out to a local pier for a few casts.  Wowzers.... 

I wanted a few different things in a new beach caster.

1.  6:1 ratio

2.  More guts than an Abu 6500.  The main gear on this bad boy is pretty large, not Seigler SM large but larger than a typical surf multiplier.

3.  A lot of mag control.  I wanted to have available MORE mag than I normally need.  Nothing worse that casting into the wind and having to re-spool...  This mag has 85 (I think) clicks from full mag to no mag.  It appears to be something like 10mm of travel.  That's a lot of control

So, I took it to the pier, started on full mag, there was a slight breeze to my back, maybe 3 or 4 MPH.  With full mag, as expected there was no fluff.  So I kept backing off and backing off, I took about 40 clicks out from full mag and still no fluff.  Just for point of reference, I was casting with a Tsunami Trophy II 12' 4 to 10 oz rod with an 8 oz diamond jig.  30 lb super slick and a 60 lb mono top shot.  I was trying to gauge distance by starting my retrieve as soon as the lure hit the water.  By the time I got down 20 clicks I was reeling in 200 turns of the handle.  Not bad from a pier.  That's 573' of line.  Not sure how that would measure on the casting field but I am really happy with the distance.  

Anyway, has anyone else used this reel and what do you think?

Akios Nitron F-15 Pic 2.jpg

Akios Nitron F-15 Pic 3.jpg

Akios Nitron F-15.jpg

Edited by Birdsnester

Sweet reel! I personally haven’t even held one of those reels but I do have a 656 ctm which I absolutely love, so I can imagine the nitro being better. I do like the handle on it, I wonder how it would compare again the penn fathom casting special.

Never saw one in person....

What's the frame material?  is it a carbon fiber, composite or

is it just a paint job over metal...

Is that the stock handle???  

I'm with you and preferring the wide range in braking.....big plus in my book

46 mins ago, rdiezel said:

Sweet reel! I personally haven’t even held one of those reels but I do have a 656 ctm which I absolutely love, so I can imagine the nitro being better. I do like the handle on it, I wonder how it would compare again the penn fathom casting special.

I bought the Penn and it did not quite cast as far.  The thing with the Fathom II casting special is the placement of the mag knob.  It sticks out pretty far and is positioned so far forward that it rubs your wrist.  I returned it.

9 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I think it is Carbon Fiber.  Seems super durable and obviously won't corrode.  Interesting thing with the handle...   All the youtube vids had it with a football style offset handle and everyone seemed not to like it.  Akios website still shows the football handle but mine came with the one in the pic and I am actually thrilled about it.  This is a really good mag system.  I normally need to add static mags.  Have had to do it to my Shuttle, Seigler SM and every other one that I have owned.  This reel is super tame out of the box.  May not be the greatest on the casting field but for fishing it seems to be a winner.  The big main gear is a real plus.  I'll have to measure it one day and actually compare it to my Seigler.

4 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I think it is Carbon Fiber.  Seems super durable and obviously won't corrode.  Interesting thing with the handle...   All the youtube vids had it with a football style offset handle and everyone seemed not to like it.  Akios website still shows the football handle but mine came with the one in the pic and I am actually thrilled about it.  This is a really good mag system.  I normally need to add static mags.  Have had to do it to my Shuttle, Seigler SM and every other one that I have owned.  This reel is super tame out of the box.  May not be the greatest on the casting field but for fishing it seems to be a winner.  The big main gear is a real plus.  I'll have to measure it one day and actually compare it to my Seigler.

Cool.....very unique 

It's a big sucker too.

And I'm with you on the handle......why abu, akios, omoto won't move away from their garbage handles is beyond me.

It's nice to see the change up to a more functional and modern handle.

The massive mag range is why I like the lexa 400 so much....it won't break any distance records.....but I can punch a spook, hydro minnow or a cordell into a heavy wind no problems.  :)  

1 hour ago, jimmy z said:

It sure looks slick! I'm wondering how it would work for 2-3 oz stuff. :howdy:

I casted a Tsunami Talking popper XD  I think its 3.2 oz and it was fine.  This reel was designed to be a rough ground reel.  For me it's going to be my 4 to 8 and Bait from the beach and inlets. 

3 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Cool.....very unique 

It's a big sucker too.

And I'm with you on the handle......why abu, akios, omoto won't move away from their garbage handles is beyond me.

It's nice to see the change up to a more functional and modern handle.

The massive mag range is why I like the lexa 400 so much....it won't break any distance records.....but I can punch a spook, hydro minnow or a cordell into a heavy wind no problems.  :)  

Never used a Lexa but I have heard they are pretty great.  I wonder if the handle is a USA thing?  Dunno...  The football handle is still the pic on their site... Weird.

Birdnester,

There are two models of the f-15, the European. Model has the old power handle and less magnetic braking, I picked up a  new USA model f15 from Joe Moore two weeks ago in avon,nc . This is the reel we have been waiting for to drum\shark with. I caught several drum and smaller sharks, less than 6 feet on the prototype reel back in the fall. The reel has more drag than the other reels in the akios lineup, and 85 clicks of mag adjustment. Holds roughly 275 yard of 20lb pro spec chrome mono ljne

9 hours ago, Ksjohnson said:

Birdnester,

There are two models of the f-15, the European. Model has the old power handle and less magnetic braking, I picked up a  new USA model f15 from Joe Moore two weeks ago in avon,nc . This is the reel we have been waiting for to drum\shark with. I caught several drum and smaller sharks, less than 6 feet on the prototype reel back in the fall. The reel has more drag than the other reels in the akios lineup, and 85 clicks of mag adjustment. Holds roughly 275 yard of 20lb pro spec chrome mono ljne

It's weird how there is no literature to support the European vs US models.  The other models seem to be the same whether it is sold in the US or Europe, I've had some.  You would think there would be an Akios USA division or something if they were going to do this sort of thing.  And you are correct there is 85 clicks of mag travel.  I had a typo in my original post where I stated 35 I think...   

23 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I just heard back from Akios USA (Facebook page) whoever they are.  Evidently the cage is Composite with a carbon fiber "Look" skin.  The USA model has been outfitted with more magnetic braking, a greased drag and the handle that you see in the pics.  

Birdnester,

Several good drum fishermen on the obx are gonna fish this reel in the spring. By the .middle of June there should be a couple hundred citation drum and at least 2x that many big sharks under the belt of these reels. Those big sharks will  really put a reel to the test. Glad you like yours so far.

1 hour ago, Ksjohnson said:

Birdnester,

Several good drum fishermen on the obx are gonna fish this reel in the spring. By the .middle of June there should be a couple hundred citation drum and at least 2x that many big sharks under the belt of these reels. Those big sharks will  really put a reel to the test. Glad you like yours so far.

Very cool...  By June or so of this year the F-15 will get a real test in my area as well.  Sharks get real close to shore by then.  Should be fun.  Thanks for the responses...