Misled

Slammer 3 Bailess

10 posts in this topic

I had the pleasure of using a Slammer late last season and it was great compared to the Spinfishers I'm accustomed to.  Would love to switch over but none are bailess.  I'm sure folks have been asking for it.  Will the Slammer 4500/6500 ever get a bls version???  Heck I'd replace all 5 of my Spinfishers immediately. 

35 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

You may want to consider a Gosa if the is the case. About the same weight ballpark. Slightly better sealing and can be made bailless

interesting, will look into it, thx

be careful with converting reels and getting the balance right. My only bailess reel is a greenie 704. I dont see a need with todays Penns. I've ever had a bail flip on any my Slammers or Clashes and the weight savings is not worth it. 

17 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

be careful with converting reels and getting the balance right. My only bailess reel is a greenie 704. I dont see a need with todays Penns. I've ever had a bail flip on any my Slammers or Clashes and the weight savings is not worth it. 

Thanks, will keep that in mind while researching.  Definitely would want a bailess from factory so I know everything is correctly balanced (great point there).  Im just so used to the Spinfisher 6500 bailess that  i cant see going back to a bail.  Plus I've lost a few lures that were gifts and meant a bit by a slamming bail so a little bias towards bailess.  Weight never concerned or bothered me and I fish for hours at a time so no issue there really.  thanks again

I wish there were more bailless reel options. It has nothing to do with weight or losing plugs, it’s just so much easier and less parts to break. I use 4 reels heavily and only one has a bail. 

On 2/28/2020 at 3:00 PM, Misled said:

I had the pleasure of using a Slammer late last season and it was great compared to the Spinfishers I'm accustomed to.  Would love to switch over but none are bailess.  I'm sure folks have been asking for it.  Will the Slammer 4500/6500 ever get a bls version???  Heck I'd replace all 5 of my Spinfishers immediately. 

Just make it manual bail, essentially the same thing.

On 3/29/2020 at 9:21 AM, Sheisty said:

Just make it manual bail, essentially the same thing.

I actually think manual bail is better. You get the best of both worlds, a real win-win. And it takes about 10 seconds to make a Slammer III manual bail.

Posted (edited) · Report post

honestly i'm about to give up on Penn bail-less models. the rotor constantly spinning on the back cast is just about a dealbreaker at this point. i've tried packing with grease, different hand positions to keep the line away from the roller, nothing has worked so far, even just to slow it down. It's a shame because I think it's a well-made reel, but constantly pile-driving plugs into the water (or worse, rocks) in front of me from the line catching the roller is about to retire my BLS 4500 to the junk or BST bin. Same goes for the older model BLS 6500. I've had this happen A LOT more times than I've had a bail close on a cast.

Edited by runnsfromcops