TideRatJulz

Introducing myself and trip planning help

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I'm from Montreal Canada, currently buried under snow...

I fish for Stripers on the Canadian east coast up in Gaspésie mostly but i've been to MA and RI last fall for the first time and was able to catch a few stripers, togs and my first Albies (that was epic!!). I'm thinking of heading down in New Jersey for the very first time ever in March (18th-23rd), friend of mine has a cottage in Lavallette...

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect for this time of year? I'll be surf fishing but I can also bring a kayak if it's worth it. From the research i've been doing, it looks like I could have a shot at some Blues and I would def like to try that out, i've only caught small blues that were trying to steal my epoxys like thugs in RI lol!

Should I get a guide? Anyone to recommend? Honestly any help will be appreciated, i'd like to make this a good trip i'll remember!

Thanks!

It’s a little early, there will be fish around but things usually don’t really heat up until April. You might find a charter that will fish the bays, that’s your best bet.

I wouldnt be surprised if we get a push of big girls into the bays during the latter part of your trip. Weather pending, I will be starting my season around that time. Shoot me a PM when we get closer and maybe we can link up!

Everything that time of year seems to revolve around 2 things: Sun and Tide.

If you can, start scouting the back back creeks in the barnegat bay. They should be a good starting point. A general rule of thumb is outgoing tide after a sunny day. If you find herring youre in the right place for big fish. If you find bunker its worth it to probe the area with the biggest plugs that you can throw (i.e. dannys)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Surf Fishing....U can expect to see a ship just off-shore pumping sand and covering all near shore structure from Seabright NJ to Asbury Park. I'd save my money for a nice fishing trip to BC Canada and not NJ....omo.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Posted (edited) · Report post

Focus with the yak behind Island Beach State park, it’s 15 min from Lavallette

tgey have a kayak launch area but u can’t park at the launch area drop the yak off go park and walk back

Edited by wasy

22 hours ago, Jim McFeeley said:

The striper fishing is probably better up there in Canada.  Maybe we can come visit you.

Im betting they dont have beach replenishment in Quebec either. :bucktooth: