trolling metal lip wood plugs from a kayak

The small, jointed Creek chub pikie was magic for me a couple days ago on the yak. They ignored my ‘go to’ Bombers, Crystal minnows, and Salt pros.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

16 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

What do you feel would be the ideal metal lip wood plug for trolling from a kayak?      Thanks,   Mike

Hey Mike, I spoke to you briefly at surf day. Ended up buying a needle and giant pikie, I was looking for a yellow or chartreuse troller. (If that jogs your memory)
Anyway ideally I look for a metal lips that will get down deep, 10’+.  As well as a larger profile, 8”-11”. 
Also (I might be mistaken here) I can’t think of any builders that build a small profile deep diving metal lip. Like a troller style slim 4”-6” long that has the ability to get down 8’-10’+.

95% of Kayak anglers I see troll.  Pikies in 3 sizes would suffice. 11"-8"-5".  The 11" should be light enough to cast. Dual purpose. I spent a lot of time casting 7-8oz GRS in boulders fields and its a great plug but you need a heavy outfit.  6oz and big profile would be better for casting purposes or keep it all the same. 

On 2/27/2020 at 7:27 PM, Mike Fixter said:

What do you feel would be the ideal metal lip wood plug for trolling from a kayak?      Thanks,   Mike

Mike,

I picked up one of your 7 3/4" Pikies at Surf Day for exactly that purpose.   Sweet looking yellow and orange.   I will let you know how it does this spring.

John

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 3:15 PM, jlapenta said:

Mike,

I picked up one of your 7 3/4" Pikies at Surf Day for exactly that purpose.   Sweet looking yellow and orange.   I will let you know how it does this spring.

John

Finally got to fish my Fixter "Troller" (not a Pikie) last night in Raritan Bay.   Was fishing with TnW and large shads initially, getting bumps but not hooking up.  I put on the Fixter Troller and it was game on.  I caught 8 keepers to 42 in.   

20200328_072244[1].jpg

2 hours ago, jlapenta said:

Finally got to fish my Fixter "Troller" (not a Pikie) last night in Raritan Bay.   Was fishing with TnW and large shads initially, getting bumps but not hooking up.  I put on the Fixter Troller and it was game on.  I caught 8 keepers to 42 in.   

20200328_072244[1].jpg

jlapenta,  thank you ever so much for the feed back on the troller.  It is fishermen like yourself who keep me informed on whether or not my plugs are meeting their needs.   I hope that troller continues to serve you well.  Mike

Mike,

I troll and cast big wood almost exclusively on the kayak. Usually helps weed out smaller fish..although I've had 20-22" fish eat 12" plugs. 

I carry a variety from 5" to 12" . Stuff that goes down about 5-8' down to about 12-16' . Usually dont have a need to go deeper where I am fishing plugs like this . 

Casting is nice to have plugs that get down quick so it can get down and stay down for most of the retrieve. These plugs usually stay down and almost come up vertical next to the kayak and sometimes get hit on the rise. 

Some favorites are the new ccw pikie, choopy deep diver, grs surface giant that I turned the line tie way up on..gets down 16', striperbites riprat, a firmanator diving danny/donny. 

On 3/28/2020 at 10:32 PM, Mike Fixter said:

jlapenta,  thank you ever so much for the feed back on the troller.  It is fishermen like yourself who keep me informed on whether or not my plugs are meeting their needs.   I hope that troller continues to serve you well.  Mike

And then it was gone......  Out last night, caught a number of nice sized fish on the troller, and then had a hit and it was gone.  The swivel can detached from the clip....

Someone heading out this am out of Perth Amboy will be very happy this morning, lol.