Thunder Rod

(Off topic) Turkey Calling

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Not fishing related of course, but I've seen a lot of turkey hunting (and deer etc) posted here, so I know it'd be of some interest to some my fellow outdoors-uh-people (like BobG, etc).

Anyone going to this? Sounds kinda cool if you're into turkey hunting/calling: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/02/27/metro/theres-turkey-calling-competition-this-weekend-may-best-clucker-win/

Kinda got me itchy to start practicing for May...

John.

I do 99% of my calling using a diaphragm (mouth call). I carry a slate call which I use from time to time to imitate fighting hens. Work a diaphragm and slate in conjunction to imitate a pair of hens fighting. 

Otherwise I got light. Pocket full of diaphragms. Young hen, raspy old hen, double reed, triple reed with a cut, worn out single reed, magnum reed. I could go on and on. Nuthin like turkey season. :heart:

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

I never could get the hand of those in the mouth calls. Always used a box call.

Same for me. I'm pretty good with a box call, (I have a couple hand-made beauties that Master Maine Guide Stu Bristol made and gifted to me), and I'm ok with a slate or glass, but those mouth calls for me are like choking on a Sunday church wafer. Ack...!

48 mins ago, bob_G said:

I do 99% of my calling using a diaphragm (mouth call). I carry a slate call which I use from time to time to imitate fighting hens. Work a diaphragm and slate in conjunction to imitate a pair of hens fighting. 

Otherwise I got light. Pocket full of diaphragms. Young hen, raspy old hen, double reed, triple reed with a cut, worn out single reed, magnum reed. I could go on and on. Nuthin like turkey season. :heart:

Geez Bob, sounds like you should be out there competing this weekend. They have several categories for each style of calling... (I'd love to turkey hunt with you sometime, but I know you have had your own gig going on in Western Mass for many years).

With all these urban bird-feeder, yard-birds so prevalent around here, I've taken to turkey hunting in Maine the last 7 years or so for deep-woods birds every spring.

Edited by Thunder Rod

i've got 4 mouth calls i rely on 95% of the time...Cuttin 2.5 and raspy old hen are my favs...

i've also got a Lil Deuce slate that I use the other 5% when the toms want to hear something softer...

I practice all winter to get good with a mouth call.. problem is I have this nasty gag reflex that 's always worse in the morning.

Noontime I'm great, but first thing in the morning I wind up puking on myself trying to use the mouth call.   

With all the technology and electronics available, are there prerecorded actual turkey calls that folks can use to call their birds?

2 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

I practice all winter to get good with a mouth call.. problem is I have this nasty gag reflex that 's always worse in the morning.

Noontime I'm great, but first thing in the morning I wind up puking on myself trying to use the mouth call.   

X2

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

With all the technology and electronics available, are there prerecorded actual turkey calls that folks can use to call their birds?

Nope. Fair chase prohibits use of electronic calls, and I hope it stays that way (even though I suck at calling)

3 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Now that really sucks!

57 mins ago, ged said:

Nope. Fair chase prohibits use of electronic calls, and I hope it stays that way (even though I suck at calling)

Never used an electronic call on turkeys but I have used them out west on 'yotes. Very effective, I never met anyone whocoud imitate a dying rabbit.

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Never used an electronic call on turkeys but I have used them out west on 'yotes. Very effective, I never met anyone whocoud imitate a dying rabbit.

Electronic is legal for yotes. Shoot away

I have an old friend Bill Carig that calls with out any mouth piece and back before he could not see any more was sought after by the turkey hunters around the commonwealth and had also been recognised in the competitive contests  , I use a slate one here at the house occasionally to talk with the males I see running around with the females. Its nice when you get an answer back.

Any wild turkey would figure out an electronic call in a few moments. When hunting mature tom's, each bird is different, requiring a specific approach. Some  prefer running aggressive strings of yelps, with a couple purrs. Others can be call shy, esp if they've been hunted before. Those birds can be maddening. Requiring endless patience, and a minimum of soft calling. Many times they walk in silent never gobbling once. 

When toms are "henned up", it become nessesary to call then hens. When you call the hens, the tom will often follow.

An electronic call simply isn't capable of producing those subtle nuances.