JayDag1128

Tile Subfloor Advice

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So I'm redoing the laundry room in my house and want to put a tile floor down. Currently there is a vinyl type floor with a thing layer of crappy plywood underneath it. Whoever installed the vinyl floor had a heavy hand with both the glue and nail gun which is making it nearly impossible to get up. Underneath the vinyl/plywood is particle board. My question is can I lay cement board right on top of this existing floor (pics attached) and then tile right  right on top of the cement board? If not, what is the best way to proceed? Im not particularly worried about the threshold leading into the hardwood floor in the hallway as the laundry room floor is already lower the the hardwood.

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_6806.JPG

Circular saw set to the depth of the vinyl and luan. Use a junk bade. Rip strips perpendicular every foot or so. Pull up the the sections. 

Remove all underlayment staples/nails left behind. 

Screw down the subfloor wit 2 1/4 deck screws ( 2 1/2, whatever is available. ) every 8 inches.  Check floor for dips, level if needed. 

Ditra membrane set unmodified thinset. Or hardie/Durock screwed with a modified thinset underneath. Then you're almost ready to tile. 

Best advice, look up John Bridge. Its a forum. Join, read, ask that forum questions. 

Ill answer yours here, but, tiling is not just sticking squares in cement and having it last years. :why:

So I'm in a similar situation with a few differences.  I've got a sound Advantek subfloor  with luan with way too many staples and vinyl.  Getting ready to tile and was told I can just strip off the vinyl and screw down Hardibacker with thinset without removing the luan.  In the past I've taken off the luan and had to deal with thousand of staples. So I'd be thrilled not to have to pull up the luan.  Thoughts.  FWIW, the vinyl and luan are all in good shape, just want to put down tile

2 hours ago, FEW3 said:

Circular saw set to the depth of the vinyl and luan. Use a junk bade. Rip strips perpendicular every foot or so. Pull up the the sections. 

Screw down the subfloor wit 2 1/4 deck screws ( 2 1/2, whatever is available. ) every 8 inches.  Check floor for dips, level if needed. 

Ditra membrane set unmodified thinset. Or hardie/Durock screwed with a modified thinset underneath. Then you're almost ready to tile. 

Best advice, look up John Bridge. Its a forum. Join, read, ask that forum questions. 

Ill answer yours here, but, tiling is not just sticking squares in cement and having it last years. :why:

Second Johnbridge, amazing resource. I've learned tons there.

21 hours ago, FEW3 said:

This was great advice thank you. The circular saw was definitely the way to go. I used a circular saw, oscillating tool with wood  blade, pry bar, and a hammer. All in all took about 2-3 hours. The subfloor is now just 1/2" plywood and it was installed pretty crappy, there is some gaps along the seams so Im going to rip that up too. 

What is the preferred plywood and thickness for tile subfloor?

IMG_7691.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

If that is indeed your sub-floor and there is nothing else under it, DO NOT remove it. Just add whatever thickness plywood and/or cement board you need to get to where you need to be to make the finish tiles "flush -ish".  Lay the new substrate opposite of the current direction of the sheets to ensure strength and stability. Glue and screw or nail. NEVER EVER put a seam over a seam. 

You will be fine after that.

Edited by Ben Lippen

Ok I just realized after reading some other forums that I should just put more plywood over the plywood that is currently there to get me to 1 1/4" thickness. After I attach more plywood is it preferred to use cement board or that orange ditra stuff I'm seeing?

21 mins ago, JayDag1128 said:

Ok I just realized after reading some other forums that I should just put more plywood over the plywood that is currently there to get me to 1 1/4" thickness. After I attach more plywood is it preferred to use cement board or that orange ditra stuff I'm seeing?

If you need 1 1/4" to even up the substrate, just put down 3/4 plywood then 1/2" cement board of your choice.  Easy peasey.

24 mins ago, JayDag1128 said:

After I attach more plywood is it preferred to use cement board or that orange ditra stuff I'm seeing?

It's just a floor, not a shower. No need for ditra or any crazy stuff. It's just a tiled floor.