Will the slot limit effect how you fish??

Rate this topic

codfish

Absolutely not, why scale down.

I wanted to catch and release big fish before the slot and I want to continue to do the same. I've never been out looking for a trophy to keep. I think a lot of surf guys feel the same. If anything we should be scaling up our gear to more efficiently fight fish so we can achieve good healthy releases.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

It's going to change the way I fish.  It already began last fall. I removed the trebles from many of my surface plugs. Replaced them with inline circle hooks. 

Since fish over 35" can no longer be kept, I intend to make every effort to not injure large fish.

I understand I'll probably miss some hits, but I want to protect a large fish from ending up with a plug loaded with trebles stuck in her gills. It would really bother me to have to release a 45" floater. :(

The Sultan of Sluggo

28 mins ago, anb5 said:

No trebles either. Curious if the slot will cut down the crowds..

I would be shocked if the slot had any effect on the numbers fishing. In many places where i fish, people claim to know nothing of regulations or licensing or, more likely, they willfully ignore them. I dont see that changing. The epo phone numbers are going to be on speed dial this season. I hate taking time out of fishing to call in violations, but frankly without more self policing and reporting we wont see much behavioral change.

Pfantum Pfishah

12 hours ago, bdowning said:

I would be shocked if the slot had any effect on the numbers fishing. In many places where i fish, people claim to know nothing of regulations or licensing or, more likely, they willfully ignore them. I dont see that changing. The epo phone numbers are going to be on speed dial this season. I hate taking time out of fishing to call in violations, but frankly without more self policing and reporting we wont see much behavioral change.

Unfortunately, this is a part of my fishing trips now. Game Warden on speed dial. I know you guys have a hard time getting these guys out. Maybe, followup each session to a post to their FB page saying if they did or did not show up so it can at least be tracked. In Galveston, TX where I fish usually out within the hour. My guy is a good reference too as he has given me advice on where to get bait and what is not necessarily illegal, but may be frowned upon.

2 hours ago, quan808 said:

Unfortunately, this is a part of my fishing trips now. Game Warden on speed dial. I know you guys have a hard time getting these guys out. Maybe, followup each session to a post to their FB page saying if they did or did not show up so it can at least be tracked. In Galveston, TX where I fish usually out within the hour. My guy is a good reference too as he has given me advice on where to get bait and what is not necessarily illegal, but may be frowned upon.

I keep the number on speed dial as well. I almost exclusively fish late night shifts in out of the way spots now and rarely see a soul, never mind a poacher but when I do fish somewhere like the canal I'm always ready to make a call.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333