Mainiac

So.......................

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

That's a good question. I was hoping to meet you, I have seen you many times, by boat and where you park,  and go south and start whipping some arse...lol.. I know I had an MRI on my back and shoulder today, might be surgery for both, find out Friday, but shouldn't matter to much, the fishing is going down hill fast....

11 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

Most likely the steady downhill trend that most of us have been following over the past few years

And small fish as the bigger ones will get harvested south of us, as usual....Stripers don't even taste that good anyway...Especially the bigger fish...

I’ll remain hopeful....although I agree the state of the fishery isn’t awesome....I’m hoping to try some new techniques, different spots, and enjoy my season. It’s a lot more of a challenge finding better fish, but the satisfaction is wicked. A bad day fishing...(fill in the blank).

Predict negative, and you won't be disappointed.  Then, if you're wrong, you'll be happy. 

So what???  Like I'm not going to fishing just about every day like I've been doing for the past 10 years... 

I'll adapt as I always have.  There were zero bass in my neck of the woods for the 1st 3 years here and I adapted fishing for other fish.  If there's a rehash of that this season, which I highly doubt, there are still "plenty of fish in the sea" to play with.  Might take the time to head out into the deep to find some haddock & pollock spots, make a few serious efforts to score some flounder, do more tuna and shark fishing.  I'm sure not going to sit here and waste pixels whining about crappy fishing.  The only crappy fishing is when you don't go fishing...

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm hopeful for a better showing this year. Why ? Like all things stripers cycle in abundance in certain areas for whatever reasons. We've definitely been on a low end of the cycle here in Saco bay so I'm looking for some improvement this year.

Some factors for this area the last two years had to due with the dry summers. I think the lack of flushing the estuaries and temporarily cooling the bay, by freshwater run off,  caused the bass and bait (sandeels,brits and silversides) to seek out cooler waters. At least that is my hope.

Irregardless I'll be fishing for them when I can.

Edited by Mainiac

25 mins ago, Mainiac said:

I'm hopeful for a better showing this year. Why ? Like all things stripers cycle in abundance in certain areas for whatever reasons. We've definitely been on a low end of the cycle here in Saco bay so I'm looking for some improvement this year.

Some factors for this area the last two years had to due with the dry summers. I think the lack of flushing the estuaries and temporarily cooling the bay, by freshwater run off,  caused the bass and bait (sandeels,brits and silversides) to seek out cooler waters. At least that is my hope.

Irregardless I'll be fishing for them when I can.

I hope you right MG, I found way before first light to be the best, before the sun came up. The summer before last was the hottest on record and the river mouths were quite warm as well.  I hope I can fish with my bad back and all, but with a tear in my shoulder and two disks bulging and the onset of scoliosis in my back, along with a left leg 1 inch shorter than the other, degenerative condition that's is serious,  I have a hard time in waders for long periods of time. Got my MRI's back today, not good.  my season might be over before it started...

Just looking forward to the hunt, being back OTW.   Like every year, I learned a lot last year.  I‘M always hopeful, (that’s just who I am), that I’ll have better luck and find a few bigger fish but I really do love the chase.   That will keep me at it.... till I can’t.

I’ve lived through the decimation cycle of this fish before.  If it goes that way again, I’ll have a great run of fishing coming in my 70’s 

if I live that long LOL

Jim 

Some of the decisions down south could change the number of fish we see, but I’ll still put forth the same effort as last year.

On 3/5/2020 at 3:59 PM, Chalkdust said:

Some of the decisions down south could change the number of fish we see, but I’ll still put forth the same effort as last year.

It definitely will unfortunately, especially if the proposal to start the Mass commercial season goes through, would have less 34”+ fish up our way in June :(

On 2/28/2020 at 7:32 PM, 7 Rivers said:

I hope you right MG, I found way before first light to be the best, before the sun came up. The summer before last was the hottest on record and the river mouths were quite warm as well.  I hope I can fish with my bad back and all, but with a tear in my shoulder and two disks bulging and the onset of scoliosis in my back, along with a left leg 1 inch shorter than the other, degenerative condition that's is serious,  I have a hard time in waders for long periods of time. Got my MRI's back today, not good.  my season might be over before it started...

Got bulging disk in my neck, herniated L5 and a blown out elbow so I hear ya. I can spend one hour in waders, after that it's wicked sciatica. So the key is make that one hour the best hour of your day. I don't really go out and get pounded in surf anymore, that lets me go a little longer, and I get a lot of mileage out of my inversion table. Not upside down, 45 degree angle for 4 minutes am and pm. It's bad for soft tissue issues but actually pretty good for disk. Have several friends with herniated disks (age group I guess) works for all of us.

1 hour ago, stormy monday said:

Got bulging disk in my neck, herniated L5 and a blown out elbow so I hear ya. I can spend one hour in waders, after that it's wicked sciatica. So the key is make that one hour the best hour of your day. I don't really go out and get pounded in surf anymore, that lets me go a little longer, and I get a lot of mileage out of my inversion table. Not upside down, 45 degree angle for 4 minutes am and pm. It's bad for soft tissue issues but actually pretty good for disk. Have several friends with herniated disks (age group I guess) works for all of us.

I hear ya man, my mri came back and worse than I thought, meeting with neurosurgeon this week....About to put myself on ebay, free shipping.....I am in tough shape....