SJ from the Bay

Surf belt accessories

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, prican1 said:

Pliers, can't believe how many fisherman have come up to me and ask can I use your pliers.

That’s wild, they almost seem too common I didn’t think to include them in the post. 

5 hours ago, part cork said:

dive knife has got a couple ppl I fish with out of tight spots before

Whether you fish in waders or a wetsuit a dive knife should be an absolute necessity. It can literally mean the difference between life and death and I consider it as important as the belt itself. 

Two seasons ago I got caught in some "ghost braid" while wetsuiting in rough conditions. At the time I only had a knife in my bag and it was a PIA to get it out and cut my foot free in those conditions. Since then I've attached a good dive knife to my belt and I wouldn't go out without it.

This is my current setup, built on a rockhopper belt.

Dive knife, boga on a D ring, stainless steel clip for my eel bag, two tube bag and pliers in a good shieth. 

Not pictured, I've added a one tube bag and eel pouch as alternatives to the two tube to stay flexible with what I carry. I also slip a second D ring onto the front of the belt to act as a hands free rod holder when unhooking fish or swimming out to rocks.

Also note the lanyards attached to each piece of equipment. Without these you will absolutely lose your gear, probably when you need it most.

20200225_232029.jpg.b44ce652fb64c1141fa8d60265e08e22.jpg

For certain extra long walk spots i know i'm gona be at i feel like a water bottle holder would be nice. I'm thinking of adding one this year. But then again having to pee is always a pain in the butt with waders on. 

I would say the boga and pliers are the most essential two pieces of equipment on  my belt when the yellow eyed demons are around, for over all safety in not losing a finger.