Lead for Do-It-Molds

Rate this topic

Said_g15

On 2/26/2020 at 0:13 PM, Said_g15 said:

Hello guys, I’m interested in making my own lead jigs but can’t find a place or website where I can purchase quality lead. Does anyone have any suggestions? I saw some on amazon but all of them had horrible reviews. Thanks for the help in advance!!

Where you located.....I have some for sale.

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

On 2/26/2020 at 5:10 PM, Jim H said:

I've bought from some Ebay sellers and agree with what's been said, except I've also used a lot of wheel weight lead and can't say I ever had many problems with it. If you do buy from Ebay sellers, pay attention to what they say they're selling and the prices. I generally won't pay more than $1.50 a pound, because I know that I can get it for that or less. Some of those folks act like they're selling gold. 

As far as wheel weights, tire shops may already have someone they sell to or give the used wheel weights. The Industry that makes them has been going to using more zinc or steel, and less lead, so make sure if you get them, they're lead and not these other metals. You don't want zinc in your lead. It melts at a much higher temperature, and if you do get it to melt, it tends to clog up melting pots, and BLT mentioned, it's a good bit less dense so the end result will be considerably lighter. 

I'll add to what Dan said too, pouring can have it's hazards and potential health concerns. There was another, long discussion about pouring lead, that Dan & I both added comments, as well as several others. You can learn a lot from that thread. There have been other good discussions too. A search for "pouring lead" will yield several such discussions. You would be well advised to check them out & read them. That one discussion was titled "Homemade Sinkers". 

Great post worth re reading

Oh....I'm in North Central Jersey.

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

Good luck…..make sure you wear eye protection, gloves, have good ventilation and no moisture near in the pot or mold....omo.

"Gird Your Loins"

A buddy of mine who used to pour his own sinkers got his lead from a woman who made stained glass windows.  They use lead between the pieces of glass and they end up with lots of little odds and ends over time.  She would just throw the bits of lead in a bucket and every month or so my friend would bring her a couple of fish for the table and she'd give him a can/bucket of lead bits.