Said_g15

Lead for Do-It-Molds

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Hello guys, I’m interested in making my own lead jigs but can’t find a place or website where I can purchase quality lead. Does anyone have any suggestions? I saw some on amazon but all of them had horrible reviews. Thanks for the help in advance!!

5 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Scrapyard

Plumbers

Once shipping is involved the price gets out of hand

Gotcha, I didn’t even think of scrapyards. And yea it it’s so just expensive for 1 pound online. Thanks I really appreciate it!

I buy mine from various sources. I know that some buy from rotometals.com. There's other companies that also sell lead. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, Jim H said:

I buy mine from various sources. I know that some buy from rotometals.com. There's other companies that also sell lead. 

I saw rotometals.com but I was worried it was a sketchy site. Thanks

Edited by Said_g15

You can buy bird shot from bass pro shops if there is one near you, so you can avoid shipping. You end up paying about 2 bucks a pound. Its easy to handle.

56 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

There's an EBay seller with 100% feedback that has 66# of ignots for $109 shipped. Also will consider "Best Offers".

Thats a good deal and the ignots may have been at least skimmed or filtered for impurities. 

2 hours ago, Topcat 927 said:

as a 13 year old kid I would get old tire weights from auto shops. Dirty-but it works! Don't know how I wasn't burned or my mothers kitchen.

That were my friends get it, remember protect your self.

Problem with e-bay lead a lot of times....they pour it into 1 pound ingots, but use wheel weights and it really doesn't weigh 1 pound because of other less dense metals in it. Your 8 oz. jig may only weigh 7.5 oz. or less. Some, not all are like that. I am looking to get RID of a few buckets of wheel weights lol. Anyone near lancaster pa that wants it, it's yours.

I get rolls of roof flashing lead from a guy that does roofs in the north east. very soft lead. Call some local roofers and see if they will sell any off cuts or leftovers from a job.