Bogey

Braid or Fused vs barnacles

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I’m having a tough time vs Jacks breaking me off on barnacles in the intra-coastal. I’m using a 7 1/2 ft MH Tidemaster with 30# Powerpro on a ssvi 4500 and some I can’t stop. Is fused like 14# Fireline any better in these conditions?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I switched over to a heavy long braid leader for a similar situation around sharp rocks for stripers and it has worked well.  Usually 20 or 30 mainline to 10' or longer 60 or 80 braid leader with an FG but there are lots of knots that work. 

Then 3-4' mono leader.  It casts much better and so far seems to hold up just as well if not better than a long heavy mono leader.  Might be worth trying. 

Edited by Bait Tailer

1 hour ago, Bait Tailer said:

I switched over to a heavy long braid leader for a similar situation around sharp rocks for stripers and it has worked well.  Usually 20 or 30 mainline to 10' or longer 60 or 80 braid leader with an FG but there are lots of knots that work. 

Then 3-4' mono leader.  It casts much better and so far seems to hold up just as well if not better than a long heavy mono leader.  Might be worth trying. 

I never thought of trying an FG for braid to braid.  That works well for you?  I would think you would want the stiffness from the mono to make that knot really work.

18 mins ago, Kima said:

I never thought of trying an FG for braid to braid.  That works well for you?  I would think you would want the stiffness from the mono to make that knot really work.

I was skeptical but it works well. Harder to tie than with mono but just as strong.

6 hours ago, Bogey said:

I’m having a tough time vs Jacks breaking me off on barnacles in the intra-coastal. I’m using a 7 1/2 ft MH Tidemaster with 30# Powerpro on a ssvi 4500 and some I can’t stop. Is fused like 14# Fireline any better in these conditions?

While FL is better for abrasion resistance, I think around structure you would be better served with a thicker line in general. FL 20 would be a good place to start IMO. Long leaders too. Fishing light around that type of structure can be a gamble. 

In Maui there are not too many barnacles on the NW Coast but there are acres and acres of incredibly sharp volcanic rocks. The locals use mono for surf fishing because all the coral’s sharp edges are death to braid of any kind. The local B&T store also strongly recommends mono, even though they would earn more profit by selling braid.

The reasoning against braid plus a mono leader is that braid can contact sharp rocks anywhere along its length and get cut instantly. Hope that helps.

Barnacles kill braid no matter what, size of jack and how hard it's running just defines how soon. I'm guessing they are pulling you into structure?