Goudacuda

spooling vsx250

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I recently bought a vsx 250 and I plan on spooling it up on a line winding machine with 300 yards of 832. was just wondering how many yards of 20lb mono I should use as backing, and I don't need to put the hump on the line like the older vs models correct? 

I normally fill the spool with 300yrds of braid first, top of with mono and then strip it back of of the spool. Reverse it onto anouther spool. Refill and your done. Its time consuming and annoying but it leads to a perfectly filled spool every time.

A hump is NOT needed for VSX.

I’ve spooled a VSX 200 and VSX 275, and here is what I did to dial in the line lay almost perfectly.  

I would spool it by cranking it yourself so you can see how the line will truly lay.

Here’s why:     VS and VSX do not have spool shims to account for top heavy or bottom heavy line lay.  So, if it is too top heavy, use a heavier mono backing like the 20 pound you are considering.  Or if it seems bottom heavy, use a smaller diameter/pound mono as backing.   Mono is super cheap and doing it this way should enable you to achieve almost perfect line lay.

10 hours ago, GSB706z said:

A hump is NOT needed for VSX.

I’ve spooled a VSX 200 and VSX 275, and here is what I did to dial in the line lay almost perfectly.  

I would spool it by cranking it yourself so you can see how the line will truly lay.

Here’s why:     VS and VSX do not have spool shims to account for top heavy or bottom heavy line lay.  So, if it is too top heavy, use a heavier mono backing like the 20 pound you are considering.  Or if it seems bottom heavy, use a smaller diameter/pound mono as backing.   Mono is super cheap and doing it this way should enable you to achieve almost perfect line lay.

so don't use the machine at first. to see how the line lays 

10 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

I normally fill the spool with 300yrds of braid first, top of with mono and then strip it back of of the spool. Reverse it onto anouther spool. Refill and your done. Its time consuming and annoying but it leads to a perfectly filled spool every time.

this does seem like the best way to be 100% sure its filled correctly. thanks 

It works every time. It's just as I said time consuming but worth it to get the most out of your VS.