RiverRaider

Horse Racing is Barbaric and Cruel

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rockyoutdoors said:

I owned 2 horse off the track that were not fast enough and they had damn good life's. I know of many more horses that left the track after racing and lived it up fat and happy. So to generalize that horse racing is bad for all horses is just plain wrong.

One of the only ways a normal person can afford to get into it. That is good and bad, sometimes they end up with someone that just can't afford to give them the good life. Just those farrier bills lol will kill you.

I love ott horses, Standardbreds are great horses and an easy to deal with breed, and they are not ugly anymore. Thoroughbreds, every great horse was or had some genitics from them. Most not for amateurs.

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, Wigeon said:

If this doesn’t get Belmo back nothing will.

He still hasn’t gotten over the last sure thing.

AEEBED0D-B140-4AB2-9239-4ED13AAD5394.jpeg

Edited by JMB

18 hours ago, b4loran said:

Not to all the horses.About 10%  of race horses get treated good and are well taken care of. Sort of like saying lawyers are scumbags when we know 1% are not.

Truth.  There are more horses on farms and elsewhere that are neglected and/or abandoned, they get sick, and end up going to the slaughter house anyway. 

2 mins ago, Jay in the Bay said:

Truth.  There are more horses on farms and elsewhere that are neglected and/or abandoned, they get sick, and end up going to the slaughter house anyway. 

That is the problem, you can't get them to the slaughter house easy enough. Way to far to ship them correctly.

There was a espn show on America versus European horse racing. I forget the comparison but it was something like hundreds are killed in the US every year while single digits get put down over there. Juice basically.  

3 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

No life. We have a huge horse problem in this country going on mostly silently in the midwest.

Do you mean the wild horses in the far west or are you taking about something else?

Most abattoirs won't take horses anymore. Too many protests and no market for the meat. Horse meat is a product of other countries.